Southern SD80MAC

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
I knew that title would catch ya.sign1

I am going to get a Kato SD80MAC with the $100 I can spend. I am going to try to get a NS unit. MY question is I want to paint it for Southern railway's "Tuxedo" and should I paint the whole engine or just the NS logos???

So....... what do you think???
dekruif

65GASSER

Depends on how confident you feel with your painting skills. I've done a couple the way you described and they turned out pretty well. Can you get a undecorated version? I have had the best results with my total paints on undecorated models. In the end its all up to you man! :wave:

Herc Driver

I don't know the exact color specification of Southern's tuxedo black, but it seems to have a silkiness that NS's black doesn't share. You might want to contact the North Carolina Transportation Museum for the exact Southern black color spec's and see if you can replicate it (if that's even a consideration to match the color that closely) before deciding to overpaint the NS and add the Southern gold striping and heralds. Visit www.nctrans.org for a contact number in the restoration shop.

I do believe they are the same color, engine black. And you might wanna just overpaint the ns decals, that way you have all the extra details left. I did that with a couple of units, and put the thoroughbreed decals on.