Southern Ry. sighting

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Spotted two beat up old Southern Ry. hoppers in a CSX freight yesterday near Cartersville Ga. :eek: Almost ran off the road looking at them. They were headed south towards Atlanta and looked to be running light. I'm still wondering where they were going and why. Man, I shore miss the Southern. :cry:

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
On almost any given day there will be Southern 35' covered hoppers in the Durham yard. Lots of NW reporting marks too. There was even an Erie Lackawanna open hopper sitting on a siding in Durham for a time last winter. They are becoming rare, but I did see a Southern "gives the green light to innovation" box car roll through town last week. It was stuck in a long cut of relatively recent repainted SOU box cars. And yes, the reporting marks were still SOU, even though the logo was NS.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
It is a very common sight here in pennsylvania to see the old Southern Cars rolling through on the Pittsburgh Division. But of course it is the Norfolk Southern Main Line. I have seen boxcars, hopper cars, flatcars, gondola's and covered hopper cars. Once and awhile i will see a Southern Diesel come through, but that is very rare.

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
This morning on the way to work, I drove past the Durham Yard. There is a SOU GP-38 (NS repaint) and a cut of SOU and NW covered hoppers in the yard. Looks like the covered hoppers are headed to Holchem. I hope NS switches them over lunch so I can watch.

Alan

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Its nothing uncommon to see Southern cars on the NS..I see lots of boxcars,covered hoppers and gons lettered for Southern..I am yet to see any hopper cars on the Sandusky line. :confused: I have seen E-L cars and very few rusty old Reading hoppers but these are becoming scrace. :cry: I saw a old NYC depress center heavy duty flat cat about two weeks ago. :D

NCAndy

Aug 4, 2004
Home of the NC AppleFest
This morning at the AsheVegas (Asheville, NC) yard there was a PS 3 bay covered hopper, two 50' railbox types (one doube and one single door), a couple 60' woodchip hoppers and a 65' gondola in SOU colors. Also was what I'm pretty sure was a tunnel motor in SP colors set apart from the engine service lines. Had some hood doors open so maybe it needs some help. Saw a WC SD45 there a few months back. A couple of UP GEs there today as well.

A.