Southern Pacific "Overnight Express" train

Matt Brennan

Hi Folks,

Might someone be able to list a few [HO scale] DIESEL ENGINE options that I could consider for my front end power for the Southern Pacific "Overnight Express" train.

A few considerations ...

Is the new Atlas 'Trainmaster' appropriate?
Would an F7A/B combination be appropriate?
Any chance an RS11 would be appropriate?

My Sincere Thanks,
Matt

brakie

Matt,The SP use any type of freight units on the" Overnights".So,yes a ALCO RS11 would work.

Espeenut

...a question for Matt:
...are you talking about a passenger train with Express boxcars as part of the consist, a mail train with the same type cars in its consist, or a freight with overnight cars as part of the consist - this does make a difference as to the kinds of motive power and their paint schemes. Another thing to keep in mind is the black and silver overnight cars were used during a very specific time period, and when they stopped using them, they were GONE! - 'overnight' almost...
...let us know what type of train you're aiming for.

cheers.

Lorne Miller

Matt Brennan

... Another thing to keep in mind is the black and silver overnight cars were used during a very specific time period, and when they stopped using them, they were GONE! ...
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lorne and others. Thanks for replying.

The black and silver cars were the exact ones that I was considering with no mail or passenger cars. This would be strictly a freight train.

I thought an F7AB or an F7ABA in the "Black Widow" scheme would look terrific, but I defer to your understanding of the SP as to whether this would be a reasonable choice for power.

Thanks So Much for the help!
Matt

Espeenut

Matt Brennan said:
... Another thing to keep in mind is the black and silver overnight cars were used during a very specific time period, and when they stopped using them, they were GONE! ...
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lorne and others. Thanks for replying.

The black and silver cars were the exact ones that I was considering with no mail or passenger cars. This would be strictly a freight train.

I thought an F7AB or an F7ABA in the "Black Widow" scheme would look terrific, but I defer to your understanding of the SP as to whether this would be a reasonable choice for power.

Thanks So Much for the help!
Matt

...found the book I was looking for, also, Tony Thompson from the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society answered a question I fired his way, here's what you want to know:
The black and silver "Overnight" boxcars were used from 1946 to 1956, when the overall silver cars were introduced, at this point the black and silver cars basically disappeared from use, so you would never see a freight with both types of cars being used. A set of "Black Widow" 'F's will do the job perfectly, and you could get away with one of the late model steamers as well - like a cab forward or a GS4. I think you could also get away with sets of "Black Widow" SD7's or 9's.
...hope this gets you headed in the right direction...have fun!

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Matt Brennan

Thanks Lorne! This is most helpful. I really appreciate your taking the time to confirm this information and then pass it along.

Most Sincerely,
Matt

Matt Brennan

Southern Pacific Question

...found the book I was looking for, also, Tony Thompson from the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society answered a question I fired his way

Hi Lorne,

I was hoping you might be able to tap one or both of your resources [above] to assist me with another Southern Pacific question.

I am wondering if the SP ran long tanker trains in the 1946 to 1956 time period. I have seen several HO scale models of SP tanker cars that would make for a wonderful consist. I just don;t know if this would be completely fictitious.

My hope is to budget a Cab Forward from BLI, and use it to haul the SP "Overnight Express", the PFE [Pacific Fruit Express], and a SP tanker train at various times [emerging from hidden staging. If I were to purchase the Cab Forward, I would definitely want to maximize its use given the cost.

Thanks So Much!
Matt

Espeenut

...hey Matt, I have seen shots of strings of SP tankers mixed in with general freight, not just a dedicated tank train - I think that concept came along a bit later...one thing I've seen that I'm trying to model, using a five car set of Athearn single dome tank cars from that time period, is a short string of 'sugar cars'. These were used to carry liquified sugar, I think in today's usage these would be the corn syrup cars, but back then they used liquified cane sugar syrup and hauled it in specially marked cars that have a marking on the side of the dome of a white diamond with a large 'S' on it, they were also marked "for liquified sugar use only".
...keep looking, the more you dig, the more info you come up with - doing the research is actually half the fun of model railroading...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Matt Brennan

SP "Overnight Express"

"... specially marked cars that have a marking on the side of the dome of a white diamond with a large 'S' on it ..."

Yes. I have seen these cars. Intermountain offered them a while ago. That'll be a fun train to add to your operating layout.

Thanks for the clarification on the SP tanker cars being hauled with other SP cars. That's what I will plan for in my eventual operating scheme. The January '04 Model Railroader cover image shows a Cab Forward hauling a PFE train, and it has a string of black tankers within the consist. I would like very much to replicate that train on our layout - some day.

Many Thanks!
Matt