Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Diesel #1

Dan Vincent

Thought I'd post a picture of my NSWL S/P #1 HOn3 diesel.

I put a 3' section of HOn3 track on a 2" X 4" and then raised one end to see how much of an incline this little monster could handle . Due to heavy weight and very low gearing, this little mountain-climber would make a Shay-driver happy.

I don't know a lot about the histrory of the Southern Pacific's narrow gauge, just thought I'd show the loco. Does anyone run one of these on their layout?

Attachments

• nwsl hon3 sp#1.jpg
    nwsl hon3 sp#1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 72
Dan,

That is a cool little engine. Espee used that to finish off the narrow gauge of Owens Valley. The steamers were coming due and badly in need of work. GE had sold them the standard gauge 70 tonners and this fit right in. As I understand it, it went to Mexico and was standard gauged. It even lasted long enough to wear two different paint schemes. It was delivered in the black switcher scheme and was repainted into the gray and red before the closing of the line. That would be neat engine in On30, IMHO. HOn3 is getting a bit too small for my liking but what the heck. A good runner and as nice looking as it is, I’d have really resist it.

Greg