Southern Font?

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Hello, Michael

Don't take my word for sure, but I think that they were 'propietary'. In the steam days, the fonts were hand-painted by the RR personnel according to master drawings so, usually, you won't find such thing as "The XX Railroad used 'Times New Roman' (or 'Arial', or ...), weighting 25, for their herald". :(

The good news are that some people have 'built' RR fonts for use with computers. :D
I don't know if they have the Southern font, but you can give this site a look. Maybe you are lucky!:

http://www.railfonts.com

I hope to have been of help :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, Don't know about the modern times but back in the "heyday" of steam and Pullman cars and green and gold engines it was Railroad Roman.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Ink Jet decals

Originally posted by McFortner
I am thinking about getting some decal sheets for my bubble jet printer and I need to know what font they used.

Do those work well? Anyone tried it? I'm considering the same for the P-K line. I like my stensil, but ? Please let me know how it works out! I would like to spell out "Paulsen-Knudesen" on some of the long rolling stock. I will have some cars as long as 20 ft!:D :D :D Any advice appreciated. I know you would need a fixitive if an ink jet is used.

jon

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
The other thing you might try is just going through the fonts on your computer and seeing if something is "close". With 300+ fonts on most of our computers, there just might be.

jon-monon - I got ten sheets from Bel-Decal (or something like that; I'd have to check my home computer for the actual URL). Anyways, they work *very* well with my inkjet. I usually print out a couple of extras of each decal just in case, but in most cases it works really well. The following building uses such graphics I did and printed them on our inkjet on said decal paper. Turned out *really* nice, I think.

Attachments

• dcp_1946.jpg
    dcp_1946.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 93

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That looks great. I'll probably get some next order. Micro-mark has it on sale (this month's MR advert), but I'll see if I can beat that price. Thanks for the pic.

I guess for white lettering, I would do a reverse image in black and put it over white paint.

jon

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Jon, you can also get "white" backing on decal paper (as opposed to clear), and do your reverse image that way. So far I've only got the clear backing, so can't say how great that works.

Your other choice is, of course, grabbing an ALPS printer off eBay (they don't make them new anymore). ALPS printers have the capability to print white....................

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Font Found?

I think I found a font that is pretty close from my copy of CorellDRAW 9. It is called Bank Gothic. There are several other gothic fonts that are close as well, but Bank Gothic seems to work the best for me.

Now, where is the best place to get the decal sheets? I want both the clear and the white.

Thanks,
Michael