Soundchipping a brass steam switcher

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
I made a start on soundchipping one of the 2 brass locos I picked up last weekend. This is the one I chose to begin with.
IMG_1411.JPG

Not only do I want to bang a Tsunami into it, I want to convert it from an oil tender to a coal version and lettering it for the Belt Railway of Chicago - I don't do things by halves.
I kicked off by removing the trucks(the wheels only pick up off one rail) I will replace them with the trucks off a P2K caboose.

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_14381.JPG

Next I drilled some holes in the base to accommodate the round speaker.

IMG_1441.JPG

Lastly, I fitted an 8 ohm 3/4" round speaker slightly off-centre to avoid the underframe parts. I also sealed any holes in the tender floor so the inside of the tender can be used as the speaker baffle.

IMG_1439.JPG

Next to fit the trucks and wire up the pickups.

Jon

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Frankly if it was me the first thing i would have done was to strip off the terrible looking paint job....then do my modifications and finish up with a fresh coat of paint :wave:

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
That, however is just another interesting Oil burner! (not for long though..) I really like it's design, who made it?

Jon, Your photo gallery is an unending source of inspiration for me, as I model the steam era as well, and your layout, rolling stock, and details are unparalleled! Please post some more great progress on you fantastic layout!

I'm about to undertake a nearly identical project, and am REALLY wondering what decoder you purchased, and where, and for how much. Could you please provide me with the information? Thanks! :)

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
The next task was to wire up and fit the tender trucks. I used the least stiff wire I could and fed it through small holes in the tender base, leaving sufficient 'slop' to allow the trucks to turn.
IMG_1444.JPG

I then started fitting the basic decoder wires to the connections - I will wire up the lights once I have the loco's running abilities sorted out - one thing at a time.
IMG_1449.JPG

The Tsunami fitted neatly under the tender shell, with plenty of room to spare for the capacitor.
IMG_1450.JPG

Finally it was only left to refit the tender top with the 4 small screws.
IMG_1452.JPG

Now to link everything up to the loco.

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
MilesWestern said:
That, however is just another interesting Oil burner! (not for long though..) I really like it's design, who made it?

It's a Baldwin 0-6-0 built for the AT&SF (#2100 class). (I'll edit in the Brass loco manufacturer later)

I'm about to undertake a nearly identical project, and am REALLY wondering what decoder you purchased, and where, and for how much. Could you please provide me with the information? Thanks! :)

Tsunami light steam decoder by Soundtraxx. I got mine from Litchfield Station in Arizona, although lots of web stores carry them. You also need an 8 ohm speaker to suit your available size - the biggest that will fit unto the space tends to be the norm.

Jon

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Very unusual whistle...are there other choices for the whistle? Otherwise, the rest sounds great. It seems the Tsunami's have very solid chuff sound, and the bell seems clear as well.

I'm Soundchipping an ATSF 1950 class 2-8-0, would small steam still work, or should I upgrade to..what? Any suggestions?

EDIT: are you still using the original Open Frame motor?