Sound decoder for Kato F40PHI

Just wondering, which sound decoder is installed in the stock sound equipped Kato F40PHI for HO scale? I am thinking of buying the loco without the sound, then later add on when i have the cash. Lemme know.

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
As near as I can tell, the Kato F40's aren't offered with factory sound, just DCC ready.

Even if it were, usually you can't get the factory decoder as a separate item, you have to go with an ESU or Soundtraxx or somesuch.

Hey, thanks for the reply man. Yeah, that's why i would like to know if the stock one uses ESU, Sountraxx or any other brand, so if i get the similar one, easier to install.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Dude, DCC ready means you can plug any decoder into it. You pick.

Digitrax makes a drop-in decoder for it, so that would be the simplest install, but I haven't heard it, so no idea what the sound is like.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
The original MRC diesel decoder sounds were cheezy, in my opinion. I haven't heard a MRC Brilliance decoder yet, so maybe they've improved.

You want good diesel sound and a good decoder, you're going to pay $$$. I haven't heard the Digitrax sound, but I've read they're good.

The best diesel sounds I've heard are ESU, Soundtraxx DSX and QSI. The Soundtraxx is just a sound decoder, so you use it in tandem with a mobile decoder of your choice, and QSI isn't available as an aftermarket unit (that I'm aware of).