Sound/ DCC or DC?

wilbro47

I have been in n for a while but now I am wanting to build a small HO layout, probably 4X8, and I can't make up my mind about sound and dcc or just dc and no sound. I would like to hear some takes on that. I also would like to say hello and a big thanks for letting me join your forum. Thanks again.

steamhead

Hi...Welcome to the Gauge....There's a lot going on here and many good people around to lend a hand...
As for your dilemma...If you are looking to do a little operating (vs. just seeing trains going round & round) you might want to go with DCC. It'll give you a lot more flexibility without the hassle of block wiring, plus you'll have sound controls "built-in", as it were.
Good luck with your new layout..!! :thumb:

(P.D.Why the double post..??)

rhtastro

Go for sound, it's more fun and adds another dimension. I use Marklin AC but DCC works as well. Listen to the puff, puff of the steamers and the roar of the diesels and all the other sounds.

wilbro47

Thanks guys. I really like the Bachmann 2-8-0 with Tsunami. Do you think it would perform well with the Bachmann EZ command or is there another not so expensive alternative that is a better investment?

slekjr

Thanks guys. I really like the Bachmann 2-8-0 with Tsunami. Do you think it would perform well with the Bachmann EZ command or is there another not so expensive alternative that is a better investment?

I would like some opinions on the Tsunami system with this unit. My buddy got one and he hates it , says it is the worst sound unit he has, as it has no sync what so ever with the drivers. He says the sync is all done with the throttle.
Any other opinions?
Charlie

pgandw

The Tsunami used by Bachmann is a dumbed-down version of the Tsunami - it doesn't have all the features of the full version. The full version Tsunami and micro-Tsunami have provisions for input from cams to synchronize the chuff. Without the cam, synchronization is achieved by back emf sensing and knowing the gear ratio. But this doesn't mean the chuff is correct for drive rod position. At moderate to high speeds, the chuff becomes pretty blurred, and synchronization becomes less important.

There is a lot of tuning possible with the Tsunami to customize the sound through fiddling with the CVs; less with the Bachmann Tsunami. Some of my HOn3 friends change just about everything to get it to their tastes.

I'm sure the Bachmann Tsunami will work just fine with your EZ Command - Bachmann has a vested interest in making their components work well together. But the EZ Command is limited in how many functions can be used, and does not have the ability to read or write CVs. So you can only use the Tsunami's defaults as assigned by Bachmann with the EZ Command.

just my thoughts