Sorry Charley... I Survived!!

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Greetings from the DEZ (De-Electricified Zone)!

On Wednesday the roofers had finished re-shingling my house. About 3/4th of them are around the neighborhood now. Waiting for phones to come back to call
roofer and tell'em, "The roof leaked..."
It was very surreal during the storm. My parents Full-size Ford van rocked like a baby cradle. The poolcage ended up in the pool; after the second floor deck roof
fell onto it. Got a broken window in my room. The computer room walls had streams
of water rolling down them. Looked like something from a horror movie. PC is ok
though, 'course ain't got any power yet. (sending this from work, they weren't touched)
The world outside looks like a war zone, people walking around all dazed, choppers flying overhead, Red Cross running around, camps for the homeless,
Shower/relief centers heare & there. Having to drive 40-50 miles to get stuff; or wait
for hours in line to get it nearby. Whole place looks like a Mad Max movie.
Had to run around seeing to things with my Dad; who overdid himself and nearly had to get medical care (Diabetic, amoung 15 other health problems). Been helping neighbors, some elderly gals that got no hubby; never had to deal with
anything near this. Making sure my Mom was ok; my grandfather, my Aunt and
her kids were fine. Actually they're all up and my cousins; just 8 mi. north, with
everything working. Have to be, my grandfathers house is toast. Porch roof lead to the inside, and got sucked out; ceiling inside is dropping in with water.

Starting to breakdown myself here at work. 'Cause I ain't got to see to nothing like
at home.

Got pics if ya'll wanna see. Can only do it from work though.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Good to hear from you Ken, had been thinking to call you. Sorry to hear of all the damage. Bad timing for the shingle job, eh? Again, sorry to hear about your losses, hope all goes well in the restoration effort.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Holy Cr*p! What a story ou have to tell. I, for one, would be interested in seeing some pix. Sort of like a Gauge News reporter, would you please. This is nothing like I can imagine.

I admire your volunteer spirit.

TrainClown

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Wow! Ken. Sorry to hear about the damage you had. It is good to hear that you and your loved ones were not injured. Property can always been replaced but lives can not be. God Bless and good luck.

DT1967

Jul 4, 2004
Kansas City
Glad to read that you and yours are ok. The damage can be repaired and items replaced but people can't. You've got some stories to tell and pictures to prove it.

Again glad everyone is ok.

DT

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
Ken glad to hear you and your family are ok. I can understand when you said people walking around dazed, back in the late 70's my sisters subdivision as well as a few others were leveled in a tornado. Pictures on the news do not due justice to the shear devestation. Thank God you all survived.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Glad to hear you are ok. Does insurance cover any of the damages? Most of my wife's family live in Florida, but either weren't living in the area the Hurricane came through, or suffered only minor damage.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Ken, I'm so glad to hear that you and your family got away without anybody being hurt or even dead. The damage at your home is still hard enough to bear, I think.

I hope that your life will get back to normal as soon as possible and that this Charlie event is and will stay a 'once in a lifetime experience'!

Ron