somthing i found

jim currie

this critter was in a box of old model railroaders think the spray i used to keep pests out did it in ,thankfully or i have a very large hand.:eek:

Tyson Rayles

I grew up by the everglades and we had black ones and brown ones. Neither one would kill you, just make you wish you were dead! :D :eek: :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Visiting a copper mine along the banks of the Limpopo river is southern Africa we had to be careful getting up in the morning and had to shake our boots and sure enough one or two would fall out. The boots were high topped because the critters were large enough that if you stepped on one, the stinger whipped up and got you in the ankle.
I guess you are dating yourself Jim when we see an MR for 25 cents

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hoooooooollllllllllllllllly crap!!!! You guys in the Southwest keep posting these kind of pics and I'll decide to retire right here in Frostbite Falls! Minnesota rattlesnakes, timberwolves and mosquitos that carry off small children? No problem! :)
Ralph

jawatkins

Growing up in Michigan I would never have seen a scorpion. It wasn't until I moved to Texas that I had my first encounter. The first house that my ex-husband and I rented had a beige carpet and I couldn't figure out why our Siamese cat was going crazy trying to get at something under a chair. Turns out it was a scorpion!! We had a wooden shed in the back yard that was full of the rotters. Talk about being freaked out!! (Me, not the cat!)

I think we saw one more scorpion while we lived there. I thought twice about getting up in the middle of the night without a light on!:eek: :eek: :eek:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Know what you mean Judy.
I was stationed at Ft. Hood. Once when we were out in the field, one of the newbies straight out of AIT, kept his boots on the ground next to his cot. The rest of us kept ours on the cot. in our sleeping bags with us. We tried to warn him but you can't tell a New Yorker anything. At least he shook his boot out, one of those scorpians fell out. After that....He kept his boots on the cot, in the sleeping bag with him.
First time I ever saw one.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by Ralph
Hoooooooollllllllllllllllly crap!!!! You guys in the Southwest keep posting these kind of pics and I'll decide to retire right here in Frostbite Falls!
Ralph
OH good, we try to encourage that. Nothing personal, but we are running out of "wide open spaces". ;) Just to add to what Jim had found, we have had six scorpions in our house these past two weeks. Well, we may have had more, but we found these six and dispached them quickly. And Pete (sumpter 250) can vouch for our recent rattlesnake. :eek:

I hope this helps you decide where not to retire..:rolleyes:

Don

jim currie

Ez

if you want a shock get a black light ,was under house the other day and my boy ask if i had seen any told him no he was out the next weekend and had a black light (scorps show up in it) and we counted 9 of them with out going under house,they say if you see one there are always more.what type of snake did you have ?

ray
that is not largest i have seen but the bad ones are small .

tyson

the yellow ones are the same get hit swell up hurt a while them goes away.

matthro
that was the 1940 box he was in dident start buying mr till late 50,s then it was treat started buying regular in 60,s.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jim,

We had a full-grown diamondback with about five or six rattles poking up. He showed up about two minutes before Pete. The Wickenburg Police came and dispached him, (the snake, not Pete).

When I was going to Arizona State, some students would go into the riverbed with black lights and collect scorpions for extra credit. A professor there was perfecting his anti-scorpion serum. I do need to get one of those lights since they are now getting into the house. Yuck:eek: :eek: I haven't had to shake my shoes out for a long time....before last week that is....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Don

jim currie

Don
i hope Pete was relived they dident dispatch him.;)
too bad they had to kill the snake i class rattlers in three types the good (diamondback usually leave you alone) the bad (mohave bad tempered unpredictable) and the ugly(sidewinders ill tempered and aggressive).

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jim,

They can all hurt you, but we did have compassion for it and didn't want it to be "dispached", but once they have been around your house, I was advised they could come back and we were having our grandaughters over in a few days.

Fear not though, they threw the thing over the bank and it was gone in less than 15 minutes. Some other creatures had a hearty lunch that day.....

Oh yeah, Pete was in no condition to go anywhere. Go look up the pictures I posted and you'll see why.

Don

brakie

Here in Ohio we have a little brown spider that delivers a very nasty bite..It will not kill you but,the bite area will enlarge,turn open up and turn redness and black.It is a very painful bite.It called a Brown Reclues...

Tileguy

Brown recluse is a nasty lil spider.Fortunatly they are not agressive and generally only bite as a last resort(probing hands that are in the wrong place at the wrong time.)
Rattlesnakes.Scorpions,all of them are a nucense more than anything.Now Mountain Lions ,wolves and Bears, They on the other hand will eat you.Hows that for a thought.Of course this is a very rare occurance and the chances of actually being stalked attacked and eaten by one of these predators is not very likely,however,it can and does happen on very rare occassion.Now i for one always go armed in the woods,but many dont and probobly dont need to.I however have been charged by a Black bear and that kinda thing sticks with you for a few lifetimes.So, scorpions arent so bad now are they [:D]

MCL_RDG

Live and let...

...the little suckers get spray bombed to death???

Geesh, I know I can be otherwise rude but I always help the little ones out to play where the should despite their desires to cuddle in my favorite places (bed).

I'd rather track a spider or moth or whatever around and get them out where they belong instead of eleiminating them unceremoniously with a poison bomb.

Gee- I feel much better about my self. I am not as bad as I thought having read some of my own posts. At least I'm not a murderer of simple insects although I did once squash a mouse at work while stepping through a basement doorway (dark, unlit). I skidded my heel on top of the little ball of fluff, heard an "eeek". After turning on the light inside the doorway, I scraped the hair and guts off my boot and continued about my business. The schmear of entrails was left to serve as a warning to his buddies.

Let it be known to all, I never killed a bug that understood, "c'mon, outside". And, that the mouse incident was accident. I never did mean to step into a dark stairwell, step onto and slide a mouse 4' across a landing while grasping for the handrail not knowing what the slippery thing underfoot was at all as it sqeaked it's last.

Mark

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by Tileguy
Brown recluse is a nasty lil spider.Fortunatly they are not agressive and generally only bite as a last resort(probing hands that are in the wrong place at the wrong time.)
Rattlesnakes.Scorpions,all of them are a nucense more than anything.Now Mountain Lions ,wolves and Bears, They on the other hand will eat you.Hows that for a thought.Of course this is a very rare occurance and the chances of actually being stalked attacked and eaten by one of these predators is not very likely,however,it can and does happen on very rare occassion.Now i for one always go armed in the woods,but many dont and probobly dont need to.I however have been charged by a Black bear and that kinda thing sticks with you for a few lifetimes.So, scorpions arent so bad now are they [:D]

Getting attacked by a mountain lion is no longer that rare. Here in Calif. the "tree huggers" got a law passed to outlaw any sort of mountain lion hunting. Since then a number of hikers have been stalked and killed.