Someting odd is going on

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
We have 2 TV sets. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Often, when my wife is in bed and I'm scooting around, we have the same station on and I walk back and forth and watch both sets.

An odd thing is going on right now. We are watching the news, and the set in the living room is out of sync with the set in the bedroom. In other words, the image/sound/program starts about 10 seconds later in the living room than the TV in the bedroom. How can this be? Both sets are fed by the same cable from a splitter in the basement. When I stand in the hall I can see both sets at the same time. I changed the channel and it's the same on other stations. No other input device is turned on, like VCR or DVD player. In 6 years of living here this has never happened before.

This is spooky and has me a little freaked out! :eek:

Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of this, or has an explanation? :confused:

Any ideas?

TrainClown

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Is the cable running directly to both sets from the splitter or could there be something like a DVR (TiVo or similar) to one or the other or both of them? I have seen this happen where there is a delay between the Dish satillite and a set attached to an antenna where the satillite signal is a few seconds delayed, but not from the same signal source.

Ten seconds is a long, long delay unless one set is going through a recorder, or, perhaps your house still has a few previous occupants hanging around...:eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

I've been talking on the phone to a friend of mine, and we both had a TV on in the background, i could hear his through the phone. we were both watching the same station, and mine was a couple seconds ahead of his. I don't know why. I would agree with what has been said though.

AR

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Actually...I have the same exact thing happening on my Comcast cable. The difference between the 2 TVs is that one is going into the cable "box" and the other is going directly into the TV. They are split from the same line. I noticed that if you pull the cable from the box and have them both go directly into the TV sets, then they resynch. The only thing I can figure is that the signal going into the box is digital and has to be "processed" and when it's not going through the box, it's analog and is basically "as is". But you're right...it's usually like an 8 to 10 second delay.

kadidle

Nov 10, 2005
Vaughn MT
www.rail-exchange.com
We have the same situation. One of our TVs has a V chip, and there is a noticable delay between what we see and the non-v chip tv. Both are newer models, and both are not on cable/sat. I've been told that some manufactures buffer the signal. The funny part is the one with the delayed signal has the best reception (both are on the same antenna.)

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Frank G & Will are right :) :)

I "saw" this happening on our (Comcast) cable as soon as they switched to digital. :) 5 - 10 sec delay for digital. But the program has to be broadcasting in Digital. (More & more are now)

The digital process takes a bit longer to "Decompress" you get a fantastic signal, (And you are ready for a digital TV) but you have to wait on the 10 sec delay. :) Also, every once in a while, the picture will "Pixellate" (The square blocks appear) when the signal breaks down. But it's not often at all. :)

Remember when we only had 3 Black & White Channels & you had to sit in a certain place in the room to get a clear picture??? Or constantly mess with that "Bow-Tie" antenna????? :) We never needed a remote control, because when you changed the channel - you adjusted the antennas... :D :D :D I'm not old, I'm "Seasoned" :D :D :D

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Well, we do have a cable box on the living room set, so I guess that's the culprit. It's strange because it never did that before. That's what the farmer said when the cow died. :D

thanks for all your help. :thumb:

TrainClown ;)

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
T.C.,
Looks like you have found the problem.

Your story reminds me of last year when I hooked up our new plasma screen TV. It has the ability to broadcast English or Spanish on individually selected channels and without realizing it, I inadvertently set one to Spanish. A couple days later we had two sets on at the same time on that particular channel, only one was in English and one in Spanish! Took me a while and two calls to Comcast to figure it out.
Doc

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Here in the UK there have been a lot of complaints, because Digital TV is about 10 seconds behind Analogue TV while showing the same program - which automatically means that the Greenwich Time Signal is incorrect! Digital radio has the same problem
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

The issue is straightforward. Simply adjust the quantum phase shift modulators to the inverse square root of the warp field matrice's temporal warp field buffers. This may appear obvious at first sight, but you would be surprised how many novices mistake the warp CORE buffers for the warp FIELD buffers. Believe me, I've learned the hard way!

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
ah, i was going to ask how far away you were from each tv, if you house was huge enough, it might be possible for that 10 second delay from waiting for light to travel from one side of your house to another!

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Ah, but you will need the zeta adaptor atachment for the sonic screwdriver, or the defilibulator will discharge in reverse polarity mode, throwing the monopole matrix out of alignment. Cutting the red and green vorpal mimsies does't help, in fact the anti-phase vibrulations become snarked. causing the anti-matter compensator capacitor to vark. Dorking the veebler may solve the problem in a minority of cases, but I think yours is dreebed. My stockist has run out, and has no delivery date for more, so I can't help you I'm afraid
Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the highlands

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Sorry Jack and Zman, you are both wrong. What you need to do is check the mod date on you CMOS BIOS. I'll lay you odds it needs to be updated to the latest revision. That's a simple procedure, but you must go to the manufacturer for specific instructions for the module you have in your set. I would advise you both not to turn on your sets until you do so, otherwise there is no telling how much delay you are seeing. I've know people to have watched last week's football game, and yesterday's news and not realize that kind of delay was possible.:eek::eek:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
Sorry Jack and Zman, you are both wrong. What you need to do is check the mod date on you CMOS BIOS. I'll lay you odds it needs to be updated to the latest revision. That's a simple procedure, but you must go to the manufacturer for specific instructions for the module you have in your set. I would advise you both not to turn on your sets until you do so, otherwise there is no telling how much delay you are seeing. I've know people to have watched last week's football game, and yesterday's news and not realize that kind of delay was possible.:eek::eek:
Heck with Last week's football, I want tomorrow's Lottery numbers!!! :eek: :p :eek: :p :eek: :p :eek:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
Heck with Last week's football, I want tomorrow's Lottery numbers!!! :eek: :p :eek: :p :eek: :p :eek:
Well, I've got last week's if that will help any. If you want tomorrow's, you'll have to wait a few days.:D:D

I take that back, the next time we go out for Chinese food, I'll give you the numbers they have in my fortune cookie.:wave::wave: