something unsusal (?)

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Pitchwife, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I was looking at web cam sites for my links pages and happened to catch a string of close to 100 single and double stack intermodals going by. The strange thing was that they were backing up. I know this because I caught the first car (not an engine) and watched the whole train go by. The cameras have a very fast refresh rate, about 5 sec and the train wasn't going fast. Is this normal operations? I didn't realize that they backed trains of that length that far. They have two cameras, one pointing north and one pointing south. I couldn't see the locos in the distance when the first car went past and when they did go by they went almost out of sight in the other direction.
    The nearest RR is 175 miles away so I'm not much of a railfan so I wondered, is it normal to back that long of a train that far?
  2. railohio

railohio Active Member

It'd be much easier to explain if we knew where this was taking place. That said, it's not uncommon for trains to have to make reverse moves. The crew might have been doubling back onto another cut of their train if this took place at the end of a yard. It might have even just been a yard crew shuffling cuts around. They might have had to back into a siding if a switch was out of service. They might have had problems just outside the terminal and it was decided the best action was to go back.
  3. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Is this the cam your were looking at?

http://www.western.com/

If so, then yes they do back up a lot on here. There is a Intermodel loading area to the south of the camera. They are loading containers onto cars and that is why the go forward and back up. This is the UP yard in Portland Oregon.(Brooklyn Rail Yard). Below is a link to local.live.com where you can get a "birds-eye" view of the rail yard.... Very cool! If you look around the image will change slightly because they are pics from aircraft that have been "pasted" together. I have found a LOT of old engine around.... I found a F7 and posted the link to that below as well. It is a pretty large yard!

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=rkfb3h4scpbk&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5578644

F7
    http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=rkfrrf4sck7j&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5576201
  4. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

locoindy76 do you have more sites where there are live cams to watch like western.com?
  5. railohio

railohio Active Member

Errr... Do you have any idea what's in the roundhouse? :rolleyes:

~BS
  6. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

No, sorry. this is the only one I've found that is live....

No I don't, should I? Why am I getting the :rolleyes:
  7. railohio

railohio Active Member

8. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

9. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

loco indy there are TWO F-units if you go north east of the spot you found there is a second one thats white near some old pass. cars.SOOOO cool.as for the Q. most RR's dont like backin up since you cant see that far! :D --josh
  10. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

11. bigsteel

your link aint workin right it's the same spot as last time.
  12. kitsune

kitsune Member

The other "F-unit" is not an F at all. It's an ALCO-GE FA-1, ex Long Island cab car, ex-ex BN FA1, ex ex ex SP&S 866A.
  13. bigsteel

you must have better eyes than i do cause i couldnt tell the difference! LOL either way its still cool to see old loco's.--josh
  14. bigsteel

OH ok i see it now,it has a pointy nose and different grills on top,are those what were called "sharknoses" or am i lost?--josh
  15. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Just so you know, if you scroll left to right or vise-versa, or if you rotate N, S, E, W you may actually see different things...... Pics were taken at different times from a plane and then patched together to make a "seamless" image. However you can find some "glitches" Kind of a problem when trying to see something, but cool if you want to see "more" :)
  16. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Haha, I said it was active, and it dissappeared, cant find it anywheresign1
    It was a 4-8-4, looked to be an ex CN:thumb:
  17. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

I answered this as you posted it! :)

Try scrolling from an different angle and it might "re-appear" Just a glitch
  18. bigsteel

19. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Ok, if you follow the original F7 link hard left to the same point as my pushpin, you will see the 4-8-4 as it goes thru a crossing.:thumb:
    Ok change the direction of view to east and you'll see it.
  20. railohio

railohio Active Member

It's an ex-SP&S steamer, not CN.