Something to ponder.

shamus

Registered Member
Many modellers have recurring disasters.
Let’s say for arguments sake, on a particular point (Switch)
So the answer is SIMPLE.

Reparations -- means -- patterns
Patterns -- means -- Clues
Clues -- lead to analyses
Analyses -- leads to facts
And Facts leads to solutions to the problem.

. Hmmmm.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Hmmmmm indeed!
We probably all use different approaches to a recurring disaster.
In my book
Realize there is a problem. A loco falling 58 inches to a concrete floor should tell me something.
Second thing.
Fix the so and so problem so it doesn't occur again.
This stops recurring issues.
Third, learn from the experience so I don't do the same stupid thing again.:rolleyes:

Vic

Double Hmmmm! From this end of the train!:D

Rule of Thumb#1....."Measure Twice...Cut Once!":D stock!:p

Rule of Thumb#2.... "There are no stupid questions....only stupid answers.":p

Rule of Thumb#3... "A wise man listens.".... Confucious...A Chinese philosopher:p

Rule of Thumb #4... "Keep your thumbs out of the way when using power saws.":D :p

gmbrd

My thing is 'forsight'. I have finally reached the age that enables me to use forsight and head off many of my almost inevitable disasters. The guage is perfect for avoiding disasters. Thank you all!

K.V.Div

I like to use a military approch (some habits are hard to break!).
Plan out your project and prepare your resorces in advance (Note: Proper Planning & Preperation Prevents "P" Poor performance:eek:), try to anticipate any problems or delays that might creep up you and bite you when/where you least expect it:eek:, have an alternitive plan ready in case Murphey and his band of gremlins ambush you (as they undoubtedly will) at the worst possible time :eek:, and ensure that each task (project) is complete and operational before proceeding to the next.
Despite all that, I, as I'm sure that many others in this fine hobby of ours do, find that I tend to take on too many projects and get "mired down in the swamp" and often the whole thing starts to look like Custers last stand:confused:.
Still, I have fun, and, as all of my parts are (somewhat) intact, I guess that I am doing OK.
Also, when in doubt, Ask and the Gauge is a great place to do so and above all, Have Fun :cool:
Cheers

Terry

WVRR

To me there's no such thing as a recurring disaster, just simple puzzles that one has to solve in order to move on to another puzzle down the road. K.I.S.S.(Keep it simple stupid) DOES not apply to me. My solution for my puzzles in life are:
1) Witness the problem
2) CURSE A LOT about the problem
3) Find out what can be done about the problem
4) CURSE AGAIN A LOT when nothing seems to work
5) CURSE SOME MORE as I walk away from the problem to see if it will fix itself (LOL YEAH RIGHT)
6) Kick myself for not fixing the problem when the problem occured
7) CURSE SOME MORE (only in a lower voice so my 5 yr old doesn't start copying me at cursing)
8) Look at the problem again
9) Find the hardest possible route to fix the problem
10) Dwell over the hard solutions and CURSE SOME MORE
11) Finally realize that the solution is SIMPLE and the first solution I found in STEP #4 was right
12) CURSE AT MYSELF (now that my 5 yr old is running around the house happily saying word for word all the things I've called the problem)
13) PROBLEM SOLVED
14) NEXT!!!!!!!
There's my 14 step program to solving disasters in life. Now that that's taken care of, there's no time for working on my hobby, since now I'm in a 12 step program for ANGER MANAGEMENT and working on my marriage now that I have my 5 yr old driving my wife up the wall saying to him "You sound like your father". Which leads me back to my 14 step solution again...ROFL...Hope you enjoyed my humourous approach to disasters

Vic

Lets don't forget another military term that can describe this hobby:.....SNAFU:eek:

SITUATION
NORMAL
ALL
FOULED (bet you thought I would use another word..HA HA)
UP
:eek: :D :p

Seriously Guys.... All of the things stated by Shamus and everyone will lead to solving problems with our railroads. We've all hit the nail on the head.

The Gauge is absolutly the BEST model forum I've been on and I never fail to learn something new. The brevity and humor doesn't hurt either!!!:D :) :p:eek:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Recurring disasters.
Mechanical problems that plauge our railroads? Or modelling errors we repeat consistently.
Either way, I've found that observing the work of those who seem to be much more qualified than I, and asking the "dumb" questions usually leads to understanding what is wrong, and why.

FACT is, when it comes to ANALYSES, I am CLUEless, but the PATTERN is clearly showing me, that BADGER has me up the CREEK, and LOGged into a PONDer.

OK, OK, maybe that was a little DEEP.

pun intended,
Pete