Something like this

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
I am working on my trackplan, and I like this plan, I found it from a link on someone's sig here on the forum. This is the same size and shape as my benchwork. My problem is I don't have a scanner to scan in my plans.
I plan on a coalmine, a small quarry, and maybe a small town. Any ideas? I seem to be trackplan deficient. All my plans seem to end up in dead ends, or just plain boring... As for the era, I want to model diesel, more modern than anything. I will probably go with DCC. But I don't want to just steal this layout... I can use all the help I can get, it's my first time. Thanks.

roscoesnyderpacific.jpg

IMG%5D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What is the scale you are wanting to work in? I may have read ho on another of your posts in another section of the forum, but I'm not sure. How much space do you have to work with? What is the longest piece of equipmnt you will want to operate? Those answers will give us an idea of how much railroad can be put in a given space. In case you are wondering the answer to the last question will determine what sort of minimum radius you will need to run.

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
Thanks Russ, I guess I should have added that! I am working with HO. The benchwork is the same size and shape as above, 4x13, right now it is almost bare, there is a small mountian in the Northwest corner, with track thru it. The rest I removed, it was just a big loop around the benchwork. I inherited the benchwork when a family member moved and couldn't take it. Honestly I dont have but 4 pieces of rolling stock that I got with it, so I am going to have to buy what I need to model coal mining, and a quarry. I want to move the coal and gravel (limestone?) from one place to another, and maybe deliver to some industry.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
What is it specifically that you like about this particular plan? Keep a running list of those things, even if they don't fit your idea of what a layout should be. You say you like modern railroading, but if all the things you are drawn to fit the steam era best, well, you be the judge.

Galen

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
I guess I sould have been more specific. I like the trackplan and elevations of this layout, but would replace the structures. Remove the turntable, maybe the wye too, I can't seem to plan a sucessful plan involving a turnaround. Leave a mine in the northwest corner, put a quarry in somewhere, maybe have somewhere to deliver the coal and stone. But also be able to run a train around if I just want to have a train running around the scenery... I think I like the fact that I could run a train around a loop, but also do some siwtching and pick up and drop off with it. Like I said, I am new to this so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This plan has #4 turnouts and 18" curves. Those are really most suited to steam-era shortlines and branches. I wouldn't want to try operating Dash 9s over that, let alone SD90s. What sort of railroading do you want? Region, size of railroad (mainline/branchline/shortline/etc.)? Is there a specific railroad you're interested in modelling?

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
I guess it would be a shortline, since I was just going to move coal and rock from one spot to another. There is no specific region, or railroad I am basing it on, I just want mining and a quarry, which almost automatically involves a hill, and a hole, and somewhere to take the product. Since this plan seems to not fit my wants, what can I do with the shape and size I have, which is the same as the above plan? No specific region, more modern (60's and newer I guess), and no specific railroad. Thanks for the replies so far, sorry if it seems you folks are having to drag info out of me, this is my first layout, and I appreciate the help.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you are restricted to a 4 x 13 bench, you will need to put in the cutout in the middle like shown on the pic you posted in order to get access to the back. You could probably do something similar to that plan with a 22in radius. If most of your curves are 22 in radius, but you have a few short sections where you go down to an 18 in radius, a lot of equipment will still work on it. You can have what you want in that space, but you may have to compromise a little. If you want to run modern equipment, I would suggest going with Athearn gp60's, gp50's or the Walthers -8 40b. If you run modern 4 axle power instead of the more modern 6 axle power, you won't have problems with the small radius curves. If you have room to expand the size of the benchwork by say 1 foot each way on the ends to make them 5' x 5' on the ends that would allow 28 in radius return loops which would then accomodate any modern 6 axle power. You would need to make access hatches in the center of each end to rerail equipment at the farthest back corners.

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
My benchwork is exactly the size and shape of the drawing above, 4X13 with the cutout. It's basically 2 4X4 sections, with a 2X5 section connecting them. I adopted it that way, and I really don't have the space to make it larger right now. Soooo, I guess I am going to be modeling an older era, since none of the newer power will run on what space I have. Is it going to be possible to do in this space with the diesel era? I will be using flextrack, so I can make the curves as big as I have to (within my space) to make it fit.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
a hill, and a hole, and somewhere to take the product.
I love it! What a description!

Dominic,

Picture this - a former branch line now existing as a private short line that hauls rock to a crusher and services a cement facility (the primary industry in a small town) then hauls finished or dressed rock to a connection with a Class one (the former parent road).

Era can still be 'modern' (70's-today) yet the branchline equipment can be smaller 4-axle diesels. Sadly, I think the others are right. You are probably limited to using 4-axle power unless you can lay good easements on possibly 20 or 22" radius curves. 6-axle power will work...but may not look all that great on such tight curves unless you use some trickery to achieve broader visible curves (like hiding tighter curves under the hill).

Do you have any room for long staging shelves? If you can swing it, a class one local can appear and interchange with the short line. OR, even better, if you can make a reverse loop work (space-wise), mainline trains could come out of staging, traverse the layout and return.

Just a couple thoughts. How about a diagram of your space? Give me accurate dimensions and I'll see what I can come up with.

Galen

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
Galen,
Thanks for the reply. Luckily I am at the InLaws and they have a scanner, so I drew up a quick sketch of what I have. I really can't make the benchwork any larger right now, this is all the space I have. I could add another 2'X5' section in the cutout, to make it a full 4'X13', but thats about it.
benchwork.jpg

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
ocalicreek said:
a former branch line now existing as a private short line that hauls rock to a crusher and services a cement facility (the primary industry in a small town) then hauls finished or dressed rock to a connection with a Class one (the former parent road).
Era can still be 'modern' (70's-today) yet the branchline equipment can be smaller 4-axle diesels

I like this plan, it sounds great! The question is, can I do this, and maybe have a single mainline to just run a train around, without trying to cram too much in? I want to try some nice modeling, water, a bridge, a hill and a hole, like I said!

Thanks for your help, I know you have your own plan going, I have been keeping an eye on your post.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
What sort of access do you have to this area? In other words, which sides are against a wall, in still other words, where are your aisles? Can you give me a diagram or at least a description of where this 4x13 space is located in the room?

As for my own plans, well, I will just keep sketching and refining till I find something I like. In the meantime, doing these sketches for others is a good exercise and great fun and hopefully helpful.

Galen

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
The straight 13 foot length is against the wall, the cutout side is completely accessable and there is room to get to both 4 foot ends. Just not enough room to expand. The benchwork is sitting against the basement wall.

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
OK, I have been looking at trackplans endlessly now, and I like the Atlas 'Granite Gorge & Northern'. I talked to the 'space management superintendant' (wife) ans she gave me the ok to expand the width to 5 feet for this layout. I also rearranged the basement so I can have access all the way around the layout. I already resized the table to 4X12, that extra foot was just screwed to the end. I am trying to figure out now how I can modify the this plan to fit onto a 12 foot long area instead of a 9 foot area. I figure with this plan I can do my quarry and maybe mining, and with the extra 3 feet I have, I can fit in a dropoff point for my product. My 'a hill, a hole and place to take the product' plan should work here. I'm at a work puter, so I can't post a pic of the trackplan...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You can always make a given plan longer or wider by putting in some extra length on any straight section of track. You can also use larger radius curves, but if the track plan is drawn to a 5x9 with a set radius, enlarging the radius not only makes it longer, but wider as well.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I talked to the 'space management superintendant' (wife) ans she gave me the ok to expand the width to 5 feet for this layout. I also rearranged the basement so I can have access all the way around the layout. I already resized the table to 4X12, that extra foot was just screwed to the end. I am trying to figure out now how I can modify the this plan to fit onto a 12 foot long area instead of a 9 foot area. I figure with this plan I can do my quarry and maybe mining, and with the extra 3 feet I have, I can fit in a dropoff point for my product.

Okay...I'm still here...but work has gotten MUCH busier than I had anticipated with the holiday season and my son recently suffered a stomach flu which he then shared with me. Now I'm feeling better AND behind with work so if you've got a better idea for a plan and are itchin' to start, I'd say go with that.

BUT, if you can hang on a bit longer, then give me a new diagram of the changes you've made above...like where did you take out this extra foot that was just screwed on, and what's this extra three feet you've suddenly got?

Okay...keep us all posted.

Galen