Something a little different

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
I first saw this technique on a Japanese site last year some time. I don't recall the site, or even how I ended up there. It was during one of my brain-dead, time-wasting browsing sessions. I ran the page through google translate and was able to decipher that the builder took a 3D model, sliced it with a plane a bunch of times, then cut them out and stacked the pieces.

I just had to try it. I found a head I liked and used the boolean operations in Metasequoia to manually cut it with a plane, cleaned up the resulting cross-sections, then used Pepakura to turn it into a pattern.

The finished product took many days to develop, but not too long to build. It's only about one inch tall, but consists of 132 layers, each individually cut out and glued. It would be much cleaner in a larger size. One day I'll print two copies at double size and double up each layer to test that theory (or find some paper that's twice as thick).

Comments welcome, and if anyone is really interested I'll be glad to put the pattern in the downloads section.

Steve

Attachments

• HeadSculpture.jpg
    HeadSculpture.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 52

ltla9000311

Aug 14, 2008
Fresno, California
Squirrel, that's really cool! :thumb: I came across that awhile back but never saved the link.:curse: Very nice build by the way, cutting those small parts and getting them accurate is a testament to your accuracy and patience! I would definitely like to see that in the downloads section. I would give it a try when things calm down around here!

bf109

Mar 13, 2009
amsterdam
it's always fun to build something new and different, so when it ends up in the download section it will be on my to do list:thumb:

thanks

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Uploaded

Boy am I lame! I ran across this thread while browsing around and realized I never did upload the pattern like I promised. I've now corrected that error and uploaded the file to the downloads section here. It will be available as soon as the moderators approve it.

Regards,

Steve

Z

Zathros

Approved. In the early days of computer numerical control, we used to do milling like this on solid blocks of aluminum and the result was very similar. Using "ball end mills" the surface was scalloped, and as it was a 4axis machine , I could program the turntable (usually mounted parallel to the x-y axis and achieve a very smooth part. Little sanding was needed to remove the scalloping from the end mills.

The 8 axis robotic arms in the final days of doing this kind of work were able to smooth out the surfaces. I cannot say that they did it better than a person, but there were no scallops left, or people with carpel tunnel syndrome either.

This is really cool and is a method that is still used digitally on 3-D printers. Albeit, the results can be extremely smooth. Parts can be made, with moving sections, that are not assembled. Accuracy is stated to be 40 microns.

This can also done with metal (sinter) powder. These videos aren't necessarily the latest and greatest. :)

[YOUTUBE]8aghzpO_UZE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]i6Px6RSL9Ac[/YOUTUBE]