Some winter pics

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I found some old slides, and I thought you folks might like to see some oldies but goodies...

CP 4222 WB at Dorval, QC, December 1994
ScanImage01.jpg

CN 2113 Rectory St. London ON
ScanImage04.jpg

CP 4709, Ashland Ave, London ON
ScanImage02.jpg

Ahhh.... the ol' Alcos.... gone, but not forgotten. :)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Great photos, but didn't you have anything summer-y? :rolleyes: This is like lookin' out into my backyard, except, of course, there are no trains.:D :D

Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Well, here's one to offer hope... there's not too much snow, and I was in a light jacket at the time... ;)

April 1994, Paris ON... note to you youngsters - observe the funny-looking car behind the trailing unit!
2322paris.jpg

OK, fixed... Photobucket loves me again!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The link worked fine for me. Another great photo. I'm not too "up" on my diesels, but I'd guess that first unit is an M-630, with Dofasco Hi-Ad trucks. I know that that paint scheme is probably pretty labour intensive, but I'll bet it would look great on any of the present-day mechanical monsters roaming the rails nowadays, probably a lot better than any I've seen, including CN's "flaking paint" North America scheme. The stripes are a real close favourite for me, second only to the green and gold. Thanks for the pics. :thumb: :thumb:
(Btw, not what comes to mind for most people when you say "Springtime in Paris"!!!)
Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Close Doc, actually it's an M636. You can tell by the aftercooler box (the filters behind the cab) and by the way the radiator section is proud of the long hood all the way down to the walkway.

Here's a C-630M (basically a C-630 built by MLW... the M636 had some more visible differences from the C-636)

ScanImage05.jpg

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
sign1 at the funny car!!!! Gee if I admit to knowing what that is and to have seen many trains with them will people think I'm old:rolleyes: . (Kinda miss em:cry: .)

Thanks for sharing those great photos!

Rick

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I'm glad you folks are enjoying them... finding these slides in the storage unit prompted me to get the scanner hooked up again!

Val, I agree, the "embarassed zebra" scheme wore very well for many years... it's certainly better than what the units are wearing now!

Here's a few more from my Montreal New-Years of several years ago...

MU Units on the Deux-Montagnes line (I'm not sure of the station)

cnmu.jpg

Then back to Dorval for the STCUM commuter:
montrealbilevels.jpg

And look what's pushing!
stcumdorval.jpg

And a CP freight heads WB when an EB commuter pulls out:
spsd_dorval.jpg

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Bigsteel,

CN hasn't run F-units for a long, long time :( ... that unit was run by the Montreal commuter agency (Société de Transport de la Communauté Urbaine de Montréal), now called AMT.

There are a couple of F-units still roaming about Ontario, though.. RailLink runs from Toronto to Goderich through Stratford, and they have been running a couple lately.
3972R

May 27, 2004
Winnipeg,MB
In the spirit of winters end. Here is 2 i dug up.

Taken In Gillam Manitoba last May, Right before it departed for Churchhill Manitoba.
PICT0017.JPG

Older Picture from early 90's, The location i think speaks for itself.Well for Canadians anyways.
----%20curve.jpg

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
TW,

Very cool! Is Hudson's Bay Railway still running those M420's? Nice one at Morant's curve... I've never been there, but maybe one of these days... :)

Here's a couple more I dug up, in the spirit of the dumping we had yesterday:

A VIA meet at Brantford, ON:
viameetbrantford.jpg

And a frosty freight, again at Brantford:
cnbrantford.jpg

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
At the risk of geting killed, Morant's Curve? Boring. Now, if you want some real action, trek about 20 km further west past Lake Louise just where the Trans Canada starts to climb over the Continental Divide. The line divides into two going west from Lake Louise - 1.8% grade on the lower track (you want to see those eastbound trains rock and roll around the corners as they pick up speed) and 1.1% grade on the upper track. A good spot on the south side to see the trains come through. A nice coffee shop at Lake Louise Village as you wait for trains to come through.

Your first stop is just before the TCH crosses over the CP at Divide. This is where the double-track from Lake Louise goes back to a single track. Pull off the north side of the road into the "parking lot", walk down to the railway tracks and wait for the grain trains to come struggling up the upper track from Lake Louise. Man, those turbo-chargers are screaming! And if it's winter time, the anti-slip mechanism is adding to the screaming. You can tell when the train has gone over the hump at the Continental Divide as the back end of the train starts to pick up speed.

Second stop is just off the TCH at Lake O'Hara Road. Catch those trains coming around the corner on their way down the hill. At this point, it's sheer weight and momentum that's moving the train along. Oops. Better go back and catch the trains going along the shores of Wapta Lake.

Third stop (or is it the 4th stop) is just past the observation deck but on your left (not the right). This is an access road that will take you right up close to Yoho Siding and the Lower Portal of the Upper Spiral. You won't believe the grade! Two AC4400s/ ES44ACs on the front and one on the back. Grain trains, stack trains, sulphur and coal unit trains, mixed merchandise. You're right along 3 - 4 km of track all downhill (or uphill) on a 1% - 1.8% grade).

Fourth stop - right at the end of the Big Hill (the start is about halfway up to the upper spiral and a 4 km hike to the end. It looks like a wide hiking path but a large part of it is the original Big Hill), right next to the rock shed that goes across the rock fall (avalanche territory). You get the trains sneaking up on you as they come down from the Lower Spiral (you can't hear them), through the snow shed, across the rock fall, through the nose of the tunnel on Mt Stephen, and down into Field.

Fifth stop - the observation deck at the upper end to take a gander from afar at the Upper Portal of the Lower Spiral. Bring along those binoculars/ telephoto lens as you are quite a distance away. To my knowledge, there is no way to get up close to the Lower Spiral. You might be able to snowshoe in in the winter time.

Sixth stop - right alongside the TCH where the track comes almost onto the highway. The trains are coming from the Rock Slide down to the Lower Spiral.

Then race down to Field to catch the trains coming off the mountain, or waiting to charge up the hill. Always 4 - 5 trains in the yard waiting to go up the Kicking Horse Pass or on to Golden, the Selkirks, and Revelstoke.

There's lots of other stops along the way but this will get you started in finding all of the good viewing spots on the best railfanning territory in all of Canada - no, make that all of North America!

I'll see if I can cut out some shots of the 4 hours of video I shot last February.

Morant's curve - boring? Just kidding. It is probably the most relaxing place to put your feet up and wait for the trains - next to the Upper Spiral in the middle of February waiting for the next train to come along.

If you ever make it out there, you've just gotta see it. You won't believe it.

So, lets see some more of those old photos, gang!

Bob M.

BTW - Those grizzlies and black bears you seem scooting across the tracks in those videos - they're for real. So, if you go railfaning in the spring, summer or autumn, keep your eyes open.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
spitfire said:
Squidbait -awesome shots. Do you happen to have any more pics of that Brantford station? Is it still there?

Val, the station is indeed still there. It's an active VIA station, there's a yard crew based there, and there's even a model train shop in the old car-control office. It's been officially declared an historic structure, and any renovations or changes have to be consistent with the original architecture.

I've got lots of pics of the station, but of course can any come to hand easily? No! So here's the best I could find now... I'll keep rummaging for a better one.

brantstation.jpg