Some weathering and graffiti

Here's some cars I was experimenting on today with weathering techniques and some graffiti. I found these MDC Roundhouse cars cheap at my LHS, so thought I would work on them and see what I could do. They're too late for my time period (1960's) and I'm not a big fan of graffiti, so I'll probably toss them on eBay, but it was a good learning experience and I feel much more comfortable with weathering now.

I used acrylic paints to start with and then progressed to chalks. In between each application I used a layer of Dullcote, then more chalk, etc.

frisco1.jpg

frisco2.jpg

santefe1.jpg

santefe2.jpg

sopac1.jpg

sopac2.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Nice job Eddie. The cars came out well.

On the frisco boxcar how did you do the rust?

Thanks, guys.

Tom - I started off using acrylics washes (Burnt Sienne first, followed by Burnt Umber) to get the basic colors you see there in the rusting areas. After that dried, I used some chalks I got from Bragdon Enterprises to add more rusting to various areas. I used Testors Dullcoat to seal it, then applied more chalk, more Dullcoat, more chalk, etc.

George - I used some paint pens to do the graffiti. Looked around the internet and found some general examples of content and style.

Regards,

Mellow-Mike

Not too shabby, Eddie

If you don't mind a little critique - I would have to say your rust patterns are repetitive. Almost to the point of being stenciled on. I only say that because you're showing all three cars off together.

As for the doors... many modelers (both sellers and keepers) don't accentuate plug doors sufficiently. Study some pics... and then try and force the shadows using washes. Just some simple acrylic paint and H2O. Slosh it on those door cracks and raised hinges, etc. Show the world that those doors look like they open. (i.e. almost black seams and cracks). Then a smidge of drybrushing over the raised detail, using a color somewhat lighter than the body color. Same procedure for the ladders. Dark wash, then lighter drybrushing.

Finally, run your rust chalks along the lower door area. Places where men and equipment take their toll opening those doors. Scraping and scratching. Thinner on the sides, and more built-up along the bottom. And not just one shade of rust, either. Add some dark brown "greasy gunky rust" blemishes using paint. Especially treat the door rails to some abuse and rust. And a bit on the ladders towards the bottom edge of the car.

Hope this helps broaden your fan base!

Thanks for the great tips, Mike, I really appreciate it. Everything you said makes sense and I'm printing it out for future reference. I'm a BIG fan of your work I've seen in the past, so hopefully with some practice I can start to get the hang of it.

Regards,

Arlaghan

Looks good, Eddie.

I'm not a fan of grafiti either (kind of makes you feel like you're in a bad neighborhood) but you seem to have a knack for making it... did you use photos as reference or were these "dreamt up" ?

Mellow-Mike

Eddie,

I hope I didn't come across as too acerbic.

I was just thinking that since you had gotten 3 MDC cars on the cheap... that you might have experimented more. Not sure if that makes sense... but I mean you knew you weren't keeping them, and they didn't set you back a lot... so try a little something different on each one rather than kind of do the same procedure on all three.

You may find something cool by accident (I can attest to that)... and since you were selling all three the same week... you could see what buyers find exciting. I've had one or two cars I did that were flukes. Not textbook by any means. Because I wasn't afraid to experiment on $6 boxcars.

Just a thought.

As for the door cracks... if you aren't comfy with the dark washes... I might recommend one of those super pointy Micron pens sold at Michaels Art Stores for a couple bucks. I have a #01 which is like the smallest I think. Goes in those cracks nicely.

I admire your structures and people, Double-D. I'd like to see you kick the freight cars up a notch. And then you'll be a force to be reckoned with!

spitfire

Those look great to me Eddie! Really nice work on the rust and the grafitti. I need to get me some different coloured rolling stock so that I can play around with rust too. My stuff now is all CN and the boxcar red really doesn't lend itself to dramatic rusting like what you have.

Keep up the good work!
Val

Arlaghan - I looked out on the Internet for examples of railroad graffiti (it's amazing how much there is out there), and used those as a general guide for most of them. Some of them I simply improvised myself.

Mike - Great tips from you, thanks very much for them. I'm looking forward to using your ideas on future cars.