Some trackside structures...

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by doctorwayne, Jan 21, 2007.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

If you're modelling the transition era, or earlier, a common trackside structure was the handcar shed. Besides providing shelter for handcars and their trailers, they were also used to store maintenance tools and equipment.
    I built a bunch of these, more than are on the layout right now, as I still have a sizeable extension to complete. Mine were mass-produced using Evergreen styrene siding and strips, along with some .060" sheet for the roofs. Because I'm modelling two railroads, the Grand Valley and its subsidiary, the Grand River & Northern Lake Erie (commonly known as the Erie Northshore), I built two different styles of sheds.
    The only Grand Valley shed installed to-date is the double one in South Cayuga. The siding is Evergreen clapboard, with a hip roof.
    [​IMG]

This is just a box made of siding, with inside corner posts of .100"x.100" strip, and outside corner "trim" of HO scale 6"x6". The roll-roofing is strips of .005" sheet cemented to the .060" sub-roof. The doors are leftovers from the Languay Pump & Compressor building in Dunnville (originally the Walthers Waterfront Warehouse).
    Both of these views are from the layout, looking towards the aisle.
    [​IMG]

At the opposite end of the town of South Cayuga is Cayuga Junction. This is where the Erie Northshore's line to Lowbanks separates from the Grand Valley's main line to Mount Forest. Because this is a different railroad, I used Evergreen board and batten siding, and a plain peaked roof. This shed is a single, with a small lean-to added on. The doors on all of the Erie Northshore sheds are built-up from scribed strene sheet, with strip styrene bracing. Both roads use economical boxcar red for most structures other than towers, stations and crossing shanties. This is the view the engineer of a Lowbanks-bound train would see. (Again, shot looking towards the aisle - that's the Speed River bridges in the background.)
    [​IMG]

Here's the same shed, shot from the fireman's side of a train coming from Lowbanks. That's the Cayuga Junction tower in the background.
    [​IMG]

The next town along the Erie Northshore's line is Elfrida. This is a double shed, as seen from the left-hand seatbox of a westbound freight.
    [​IMG]

Here's a going-away shot, from the same train. The original single shed has had a second shed added on, as evidenced by the saddle-roof connecting the two main roofs. This prevents water from collecting where the two eaves meet. We can also see a small annex on the west side of the structure. By the way, all of these buildings sit on .080"x.125" styrene "timbers", stacked to suit the terrain.
    [​IMG]

The next town along the line is the Erie Northshore's headquarters town of Lowbanks. Here's the handcar shed at the east end of Lowbanks, near the water tower. This view was taken from the stockyards, just across the tracks.
    [​IMG]

This shot was taken from the public road crossing in Lowbanks, and shows some of the other sheds in the vicinity. Where the track curves out of sight, to the right, is the Maitland River bridge. A stockcar, spotted at the Lowbanks Stockyards, can be seen at the extreme right.
    [​IMG]

This is an overhead view of a set-out platform. (It could benefit from a few gouges where the handcar wheel flanges would've chewed it up)
    [​IMG]

These are simple buildings to make, and most have only a door for the handcar. The lack of windows prevents vandalism, and the roof style is up to you. Most roads used a common plan, which means that most are the same, with larger versions simply being two singles spliced together. Some may get a small lean-to, depending on what needs to be stored in the vicinity. Mine should all be a bit farther back from the tracks, but, as with most layouts, real estate is at a premium. :rolleyes:
    The handcars and trailers are kits from Tichy, by the way.

Wayne
  2. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Very nice work there. :)
  3. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Those are pretty little buildings, Wayne! :thumb:

I share your idea of the two different styles for the two RR companies, but so far I only pursued the idea to apply different color schemes. Your idea to use different roof and siding types goes one importatnt step further - thank you very much for the hint!

Where did you get these beautifully detailed handcars from?

Ron
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Nifty little scenes Wayne! I like the details like the wheelbarrow and the signs. Makes me wish those sheds and carts were still in use on the PC!
    Ralph
  5. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I could look at your work all day. Great ideas, great execution. The attention to detail really adds interest.
  6. doctorwayne

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
    I had originally considered doing different paint schemes on all of the railroad structures of both lines, but my unmodelled (except for a lot of rolling stock and some locomotives) Elora Gorge & Eastern, my original free-lanced line, actually owns 90% of the Grand Valley, and each of these roads in turn control 45% of the Erie Northshore, so the cheap (and bland) boxcar red won out. :rolleyes: All of the small wooden stations, regardless of design, are painted in the EG&E colours of double grey and green, as are the crossing shanties and junction towers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron, the handcars, and the plain trailers, are from Tichy, although I'm not sure if they're currently available. If I recall correctly, there are six of each in the package and they're a real bargain, considering the fine detail. Not difficult to build, but some of the parts, particularily the operating handle, are very delicate.

Wayne
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

Yeow sir line side sturctures from a by gone era.I remember them well..They gave the railroads that human touch.
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Nice pics and the usual outstanding modeling, Wayne. I know the handcars are left outside because they are too nice a detial to hide in the shed, but would the railroad have ever left them out. It seems to me that they would put them in the sheds and lock the doors except when the track gang was needing them to work on the mainline. I'm sure that such things would definately be kept under lock & key today to remove any temptation for kids to put a hand car on the tracks and have a go with them.
  9. doctorwayne

You're certainly right about that, Russ. I do have a bunch ot the handcars parked out front of the shops at Lowbanks, but these out on the line would normally be locked-up. Mind you, though, there's been almost no vandalism here since I threatened to glue all the LPB hooligans in place. ;) The only bad behavior here has been by the spiders, who leave graffiti so fine that it can only be seen on photographs, spotted, if I'm lucky, just before I post them. :rolleyes:
    Here's the handcar line-up at the shops.
    [​IMG]

Wayne
  10. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

11. doctorwayne

Thanks Gil, glad you enjoyed it.

Wayne
  12. farish

farish New Member

Just outstanding work......going to school on your work...thank you for showing it.
  13. iis612

iis612 Member

Wayne,
    Your attention to detail is second to none. You are my MRR hero.
  14. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Wayne, good idea to glue the hooligans in place :wink:. Thank you for this very interesting and informative thread. There is always a lot to learn by looking at your outstanding modeling. :thumb:
  15. slekjr

slekjr Member

Dear Wayne
    I know you have probably never been to Negley, Ohio, but the shed in the first picture is an exact replica of the shed the Y&S railroad had at the Negley shop. I don't think I ever took a photo of it but I think it is still there.
    When I was volunteering for the LBCV there it was being used for sand storage.
    Great work.
    Charlie
  16. doctorwayne

Thanks to all for taking the time to view this thread. You're response has certainly justified the time spent to restore the pictures to it.

Wayne
  17. slekjr

slekjr Member

Dear Ralph
    You don't have to be left out. I took this in 1979 It survived into Conrail and was along former PRR/PC trackage at the junction of the Koppel secondart track.
    [​IMG]
    Charlie
  18. doctorwayne

It never fails to impress me, the amount of detail the railroads used to lavish on even such mundane structures as these. It almost makes me feel guilty for making mine so plain. ;)

Wayne
  19. slekjr

slekjr Member

This was a real nice structure located at the North end of the Chicora Pa tressle on the B&O. It's gone now. A real shame it wasn't saved.

[​IMG]

Charlie
  20. doctorwayne

It is a shame. :sad: That building reminds me a lot of one about 6 or 7 miles from here. It's a home now, but it used to be a station of the Great Western Railway, which eventually became part of the CNR. It's been moved about a block from the tracks, but at least it's still in existence.

Wayne