Some stupid questions

Dashdriver

Dec 26, 2006
COMBAT said:
LOL Hmmm, where have I heard that before. sign1

You doing commuter hops to where? If I can ask. :D

Philly, Baltimore, Syracuse, Albany, Hartford, Providence, Norfolk, Portland, Burlington and Manchester.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
60103 said:
Dash: since DCC is fairly new development, there are still a lot of old fogies (like me) who operate DC systems. What is not standardized is how DCC preparedness is labelled. DCC equipped is clear; DCC Ready may mean that there is a socket inside for a chip or that there is a big enough space inside for a chip or may mean that there is a chip.
A loco can be chipped is there is a way to break into both sides of the wiring between the pickups and the motor brushes (would you believe there are locos where you can't?)
AC is used in the toy train section -- Lionel and friends, Marklin.

Remember: with DCC you run a train; with DC you run a railroad. (ducks barrage of scale ballast)

Actually there's nothing wrong with DC to me either,I just use a Quantum Engineer(which works awesome by the way)with my BLI locos.The problem is I got a PCM Santa Fe F3 A/B set off of E-Bay for a great price and if I want to be able to have sounds with it I'll need to go DCC.I would have rather just have had to buy another QE so I had one for the inside and outside track to be honest.

Chris

Dashdriver

Dec 26, 2006
60103 said:
Dash: since DCC is fairly new development, there are still a lot of old fogies (like me) who operate DC systems. What is not standardized is how DCC preparedness is labelled. DCC equipped is clear; DCC Ready may mean that there is a socket inside for a chip or that there is a big enough space inside for a chip or may mean that there is a chip.
A loco can be chipped is there is a way to break into both sides of the wiring between the pickups and the motor brushes (would you believe there are locos where you can't?)

Remember: with DCC you run a train; with DC you run a railroad. (ducks barrage of scale ballast)

So depending on how much you want to spend and how many bells and whistles you want (no pun intended), you can place different decoders in a loco?

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
In a word, YES! Just like planes, its not what you want it to do, its how much you want to spend ! If you mean different decoders in one engine, I am not sure why you would do this, I think that answer is no. One engine, one decoder. Thats all that is needed.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The closest analogy to aviation I can think of:

Using your eyeballs to fly VFR would be like running trains in straight DC. Cheapest.

Using basic instruments to fly IFR would be like running a locomotive with a basic 2-function DCC decoder that controls just the speed/direction of the motor and headlights. A little more expensive.

Flying an F-22 Raptor with the AESA radar and data fusion avionics would be like running a loco with full-blown DCC-controlled ditch lighting and sound effects. $200 million. :D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Hey! A fellow airplane'r...welcome to the boards. And there's nothing wrong with turbo-props that's for sure. Of course my other ride is a Citation X - so I visit all the numbers on the airspeed indicator between flying the Herc and the X. Barbie Jet as in Fokker F100?

DCC is a great way to go - and there's plenty of experts right here on these boards (that does NOT include me btw as I'm still learning about it). I've had the same thoughts on the great DC/DCC debate but for now, DC suits my (and my kid's) needs, but I've made sure all my diesels are upgradable to DCC for when the time comes. There's also a lot of great info here on getting started and designing/deciding what your layout would like to be.

Dashdriver

Dec 26, 2006
Herc Driver said:
Hey! A fellow airplane'r...welcome to the boards. And there's nothing wrong with turbo-props that's for sure. Of course my other ride is a Citation X - so I visit all the numbers on the airspeed indicator between flying the Herc and the X. Barbie Jet as in Fokker F100?

DCC is a great way to go - and there's plenty of experts right here on these boards (that does NOT include me btw as I'm still learning about it). I've had the same thoughts on the great DC/DCC debate but for now, DC suits my (and my kid's) needs, but I've made sure all my diesels are upgradable to DCC for when the time comes. There's also a lot of great info here on getting started and designing/deciding what your layout would like to be.

Barbie Jet as in the EMB145 and the CRJ 700/900.

I am definitely going to go with DCC once I get started. What the heck does ditch lighting mean?

Dashdriver

Dec 26, 2006
LongIslandTom said:
The closest analogy to aviation I can think of:

Using your eyeballs to fly VFR would be like running trains in straight DC. Cheapest.

Using basic instruments to fly IFR would be like running a locomotive with a basic 2-function DCC decoder that controls just the speed/direction of the motor and headlights. A little more expensive.

Flying an F-22 Raptor with the AESA radar and data fusion avionics would be like running a loco with full-blown DCC-controlled ditch lighting and sound effects. $200 million. :D

Hahahaha, AESA radar and data fusion. I'm in a steam gauge slant alpha Dash these days. I'd just be happy with FMS. I guess I'll get my top-of-the-line tech fix with my future model railroad. sign1

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
60103 said:

After forwarding this to my friends at the Marklin board...well...lets just say they're not happy with you:D :D :D

As for DCC vs. DC, I like DCC much better and have it installed on my regular club locomotives. However, after installing it on many of my others and facing the reality of not having the finances to go DCC on my layout, I've gone back and pulled chips out of a few while waiting to put jumper chips in the more difficult installs, leaving only two matched pairs of diesels with DCC in them for shows. My layout simply is not going to be large enough to justify the expense of a digital system in my eyes, and there is a certain pleasure in just running the little boogers right off after they've been reworked in my lab.