Some random N Scale Thoughts.

brakie

As I was looking over this months new releases from Atlas,Athearn and Micro-Trains my thoughts turn to the 80s when I had a N Scale door layout and was using Atlas GP9s,Bachmann GP40s and F7s,AHM RSD15s and a Mini Trix FM switcher and repido couplers.N Scale was still growing as far as new products but nothing like today's rate.:thumb:
Today I use Atlas engines,cars from Atlas,Athearn,Red Caboose,LBF,InterMountain and the former Roundhouse cars...In the 80s 98% of my cars was Atlas.
Today we have a wider variety of vehicles,structures,scenery,ballast,figures,DCC equipped locomotives and so forth.Quality locomotives have body mounted couplers and closed pilots-a far cry from the old standard truck mounted couplers.MT makes couplers that you can body mount on your fright cars if you choose.:thumb:

Share your memories and thoughts with us..:D

What changes to you see in N Scale in the coming years?

COX 47

Larry I'm stuck in the 80's cause I'm still running most of that stuff. I was a HOer for many years and well into the 90's I was still running and enjoying Varney,Howell Day. Walthers AHM .I like the new stuff but I love the old stuff...Cox 47

brakie

COX 47 said:
Larry I'm stuck in the 80's cause I'm still running most of that stuff. I was a HOer for many years and well into the 90's I was still running and enjoying Varney,Howell Day. Walthers AHM .I like the new stuff but I love the old stuff...Cox 47

Nothing wrong with that..Those N Scale engines served me well from 1979-1987.
I still think the Hobbytown of Boston RS3 is still the best RS3 made..

2-8-2

brakie said:
What changes to you see in N Scale in the coming years?

My N scale exposure started with my late grandfather. He had a basement layout when I was a kid, and to me, it was the greatest thing in the world. It wasn't anything spectacular, just very basic scenery and structures randomly placed. I think he painted small pine cones green for some of the trees. Atlas and Rivarossi are about the only things he ran.

When I look at some of the things available now, it just blows me away. The level of detail has come a long way, from engines to trees, and even ballast is more realistic these days. Much to my dismay however, there still isn't a standout N scale switcher, much less variety. Somewhere I read a rumor that Kato was going to unveil one, I hope it's true.

COX 47

Larry I had a Hobby Town F unit drive with a Atheran C&NW f7 that was smooth as silk low geared but would pull the paper off the wall I bought it at a swap meet for 15.00 used it 30 years..I would love to find that kind of performance [at that price] today in N.It seems to me that most of the guys today don't seem to want to take the shell off and see if they can improve them? I recently picked up a Bachman spectrum Guy said it wouldn't run for 5.00 Took shell off cleaned it some one had way over oiled it thing runs like a sewing machine...Cox 47