Some pictures of my scenery work

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Judy and welcome to the gauge.
Now that is some very fine modelling, beautiful scenes and the trackwork is also well done. You need to get this into a magazine sometime.

cheers
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
COOL!!!

Judy that is some fine looking modelling - I really like the little town in your first post, and those autumn colours. The creek and the coal tipple are great too! Aw, what the heck, every shot is a winner!!!

Welcome to the Gauge from me too. You're going to love this forum. A great supportive bunch of folks and some darn good modellers too.

Always great to see a fellow-woman (can I even say that?) getting into the hobby. It's a heck of a lot of fun, isn't it?

cheers
Val

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Val-

Checked out your web site. Will have to go back later to read your article on making things look rusty. I like to see things weathered on layouts. Gives it that 'lived in' look.

C

Catt

Hey Val,you and Judy are sure showing us guys.:D

Judy, most excelent modeling, lady.

Jim Cullen

May 24, 2003
Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA
Judy,

Great job on the scenery. The use of colors and attention to details make the scenes come alive. Just for reference, what brand of ground foam and trees did you use/make? Any other "construction" details or techniques that you would like to share? Jim

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Originally posted by Jim Cullen

Just for reference, what brand of ground foam and trees did you use/make? Any other "construction" details or techniques that you would like to share? Jim [/B]

On the autumn scene I used the Woodland Scenics trees and dried folaige from Garden Ridge. To get the color for the trees I made the Woodland Scenics trees then used two types of craft spray paint. Santa Red and Primary Yellow to get the color. I would spray the folaige yellow and immediately come after it and spray it with red. Works like a charm. This was my first time to ever make trees, so using the Woodland Scenics trees was pretty nice.

For the ground cover I take sheets of dried floral moss that you can buy at Walmart or any craft store and run it through the blender until I get the fineness or courseness that I'm looking for. If I want to add more color, let's say for autumn, I take some autumn colored lichen and run it through the blender with it. I'm not a big fan of lichen, but for this purpose it works pretty well.

For some of ground cover I tore off chunks of the same moss and just glued them down and trimmed them to the height that I needed. It makes great "dead" under brush.

I'm trying to make trees from scratch with nice trunks and it's been a pig of a job. Any suggestions out there? If anyone out there has a great technique that has some pictures to it, I would be really grateful to have someone share them with me.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Judy. If you can contact Shamus or hope he sees this post, he can explain and show you how to make good tree trunks. Something about using a hasp or very coarse wood file. Also Robin (Matthyro) can show you how to make very nice evergreen trees. I could but don't have a digital camera for close up pictures

Attachments

• semtn.jpg
    semtn.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 91

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Welcome to The Gauge Judy!:)
You do REALLY nice work!
Keep those photos coming...they are FANTASTIC!!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Judy,
Welcome to the gauge! I have just started playing around with N scale, so can appreciate the effort and skill shown in your pics.
If you, and Val, and Aartwmich are any indicator of the quality women can bring to this hobby, you need to get more of you interested. Competition would give us good ole boys a reason to get off our **** and improve!
Trees, It is a "pig of a job". On the other hand, like any model, the more effort, the better the look. I had a thread called "a tree is "built",, "planted",, "started" which described the building of an O scale tree, which follows the same technique I use for HO scale. It's in scratchin & bashin. The same materials, and techniques can be applied to N scale.
Excellent work, looking forward to seeing more,
Pete