Some old books

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Was perusing the school library and found, in addition to every Model Railroader magazine from 1994-2002, I found some old, sorta interesting books, like "The Handbook For Model Railroaders", Copyright 1939, some collections of trackplans from the 50s, 60s and 70s, and other historical stuff. Even a Facsimile copy of the January, 1934 issue of 'The Model Railroader' -- the very first MRR magazine

Should make some interesting Perusals, comparing trackplans from so long ago to the ones around today.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Neat stuff. I have MR and RMC's going back to the 30's and they are fascinating. Amazing how much of that stuff still pertains to todays modeling, or is easily adapted to todays materials. Also amazing how much of it shows up again, and again, and again... I love the WW2 issues. Wish I had a complete collection.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Those old books and magazines are great reading. Informative and good for a laugh sometimes. I have a book that was discarded by a library titled, Making Your Model Railroad, copyright 1954. A lot of it is useful information yet today. Some things are funny, imagine using clockwork locos or knife switches on your control pannel.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
imagine using clockwork locos or knife switches on your control pannel
Hey, I've got a clockwork loco on my layout now!
and I remember ordering a DPDT knife switch from our TV shop. I wanted to use it as a reversing switch for my Lionel set. :rolleyes: It took me a number of years to know why it didn't work!
I have a repro bound volume of the whole first year of Model Railroader.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
What kind of clockwork loco? I posted a photo of a marx CV I restored. A post called tinplate. Noone seemed interested.
I read some old copies of railroad magazine from the 40s, some have a model railroad colmn. One was how to build a PRR K5 in OO scale , blueprints and all.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the older mags are a good libary of many phases of the hobby the qualty that was turned out was in par with today and the tools and materal by our standars were crude used oil cans and such.

Chris

here is you traction fix from a rmc july 1938

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
More traction for Interurben

the very first MRR magazine has A trackplan you'd love:

O-gauge hand-laid track over 100 feet long, with the 'third rail' entirely catenary overhead, all hand laid as well

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Clockwork loco

Chris:
the clockwork lcoco is an OO gauge N2 tank (ex-LNER) but not the Dublo one. It was sold to me as Tri-Ang, but I don't think it is. Can't remember what we decided it was.
One of our club members was building his layout using hand-laid scale track, but since he hadn't wired anything, I took the loco down and ran it on his track!
He's since gone into EM gauge and has the Patrick Brompton display layout (call the doughnought by the club.)