soldering track?

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Im in the process of soldering my flex track and have a question. Is it worth staggering where i put my rail joiners? Should I just solder where the two meet (inner , outer rail) or push the floating rail down the ties about 6 inches or so? That way the inner and outer rail joints wont be next to each other. Would this help with running?:p(<i just like this face:mrgreen:) thanks in advance

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Staggered joints help to prevent a kink in the track on the curves...Even on soldered rail there can be a tendency to form a kink there.

Rule of thumb (for carpenters)...Stagger the joints...!!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I staggered the joints on one layout -- never again. You end up with to many places where you have to cut clearances for rail joiners a few (or many) ties into a length.
I might do it where I start one side with a half-length of rail and the other with a full length.

N

nachoman

I don't think this is necissary. Sure, staggered joints makes things smoother, but from my experience, if you solder while the joint is straight, and then bend, the joint winds up plenty smooth. In other words, start bending the piece around the curve. Hold it with tacks for track that doesn't hold it's shape. When you get about 4" from the joint, leave the last 4" straight and cut the long rail off to be approximately even with the short rail. Now, solder the next piece of flextrack on, and then keep bending around the curve.

Kevin