Soldering School

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
After haven spoken with N-Gauger, I am going to start a thread called "The Solder Shop". I am D.O.D. certified in what is called HI-REL Soldering which consists of all types of soldering, such as soldering on every thing from componets to wires and printed circuet boards. I am going to TRY to make new additions at least once a week and more if I can. I ask that you do NOT respond to the solder shop. I will start a second thread which we call "The Solder Shop-Q/A". Under this thread I will answer all your questions, (the best I can) about soldering and will also try to give you all the help that I can. I will also include photos of soldering tips and tricks that I feel everyone will benefit from.
Some of the things that I'll cover will be:
Purpose of soldering
Forms of solder
Physical states of solder
Eutectic solder
Metals and Alloys
Working temperatures of solder
Flux- Purpose, Classes, Types, Forms and properties
Flux action theory
Abietic Acids

I would like to thank N-Gauger for his time and concern in this matter.
I did give a little info in "All model Railroads" forum the other day under the post of "What size soldering iron" that someone had asked about.

I would also like to thank Iron Goat for his fine question that he brought up right off the get-go.

Randy Cline

robt46

Nov 21, 2004
Hey thanks Randy. This is great. Can't wait till you start. You have my full attention. Robt.

Injector

Nov 16, 2004
Seems like an awful lot of learning just to do some simple soldering of train tracks? Don't you just flux it, heat it, and melt it? I don't need to know about bits and bytes and computer theory to post here either.

Sempak

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
If you aren't interested you dont have to read it...

Isn't this the kind of thing we put in the academy? Or can that only happen when its finished because posts can't be replied to?

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
icon1.gif
The Future of the Academy
The direction we wish to take the Academy into the future:

The two purposes of the Academy are to teach and inform.

Teaching skills will be the most important feature.
Teaching is to be gained through step by step instructions with diagrams or photographs as needed, with no distractions. Modelers should be able to print out the thread and follow directions to create something for themselves whether it is making structures or scenery or gaining photographic or electronic skills and other layout help such as track laying, wiring, layout construction and whatever else may come up.
The method of deciding what should go into the Academy should follow these steps:

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
solder

I have always just "heated it, melt it" and somehow managed to get it to work. HOWEVER, tell me how to flux, what kind of flux, and how to melt, 'cause I need it. But for sure, do keep it simple. Some of us do have simple minds.

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.