Soda Can P-40 Warhawk 1:32nd scale using FG pattern

Discussion in 'CAN MODELS (Both aluminium and Tin)' started by gman_93643, Dec 17, 2017.

1. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

While I am continuing to update the FG build tutorial on the Grumman Hellcat, I thought I would share the results of another recent build using the FG P-40 Warhawk pattern to build one of my favorite movie aircraft models, Joseph Sullivan's modified P-40 from the film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Using the large pattern, modified as shown in the FG Hellcat tutorial, I built this model using many of the same techniques demonstrated in that thread. Here is how it turned out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I used a combination of white and red can to cut out the teeth, eyes and the signature markings on the side of the aircraft as seen in the film. As usual, I opted for a clear canopy and windows because the added realism simply sets these apart from models in which reverse can is used for the canopy.

[​IMG]

The model came in right at 12 inches long with a 15 inch wingspan and we can now send Sky Captain off to fight with The Flying Legion once again, with a little Pepsi of course!

"This is Sky Captain, I'm on my way..."
    Revell-Fan, zathros and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

That is a real beauty. Great fun movie too! ;)
  3. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

DANG! That is gorgeous!!! :)
  4. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Thanks so much!

The lettering and the teeth were a bear, but it really makes the model. I've seen the P-40 built out of cans before on another forum, but the builder neglected to take advantage of his ability to make markings and insignias and the model fell flat in my humble opinion. To me, if you're going to put that much effort into a nice build such as this, you might as well finish it off, right?!

Loved the movie and always wanted to build the plane. Now its hanging just to the right of the 3.5 foot F-15 hanging over my head...!!!
  5. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

The teeth are essential on this model! ;)
  6. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

I agree! Goes to show what can be done with a simple pattern like this and the little details that just make it pop...
    zathros likes this.