Soda Can Miscellaneous projects completed

Discussion in 'CAN MODELS (Both aluminium and Tin)' started by gman_93643, Feb 8, 2018.

1. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Should be a gallery up now, if I did it correctly...

The little coupe came out pretty good indeed. Wasn't sure about the Arizona Iced Tea Cans, but they did come out rather well on the coupe and the Lamborghini Gallardo...
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I just approved your posts. :)
  3. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

What a superb collection! :Bravo:
  4. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Still working on the Snowspeeder in between numerous doctor's appointments. In the meantime, please enjoy some photos of my Eagle Transporter from the iconic SciFi series Space 1999. She's just a tad bit over 22 inches long!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Revell-Fan, Printer, zathros and 2 others like this.
  5. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

:surprise::surprise::surprise:WOW!!!:surprise::surprise::surprise:
    That looks GREAT! It always AMAZES me what people can do with the materials that they have on hand!
    KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
  6. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Finally got around to finishing the Snowspeeder. Sometimes health, life or other circumstances get in the way. But nothing helps give you pause or time to take a deep breath better by keeping your hands and mind busy...

[​IMG]
    Revell-Fan, Printer and zathros like this.
  7. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

Your talent is ASTOUNDING!!!
  8. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

After a brief binge on SciFi subjects, I decided to make a return to a familiar genre that I've delved into many times before; Armored vehicles and Tanks. Some of the early prototypes of these models have made an appearance or two in a featured film short and even a cameo on HBO. This time, I decided to build the vaunted M-18 Hellcat, a tank Destroyer of WW II and even the Korean Conflict. I love using these generic Refreshe cans for many of my projects that need to be an olive drab or camouflage pattern since the cans replicate it so well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

You sank my Battleship!

Nope, its just a nifty little Naval warship.

So many who build within this medium stick to just building aircraft and quite frankly I don't know how they do it because in my humble opinion there's just so many interesting subjects out there that one can attempt to replicate. Me personally, I like to experiment and sometimes it gets the best of me. But I've come to the conclusion that in doing so, it is considerably less boring than limiting myself to just aircraft models.

The latest project was an attempt to see how detailed and how small parts-wise I could go while trying to build something you rarely see done in cans; a naval warship. This nifty little ship is somewhere in the realm of a small frigate or a corvette depending on the navy, but it was a fun one to experiment on. The model was trial and tribulation because after working out the waterline hull and deck pieces from card stock, nearly most of the non super structure parts had to be scratch built after the hull, deck and super structure were assembled. This is a good example of when paper modeling techniques can no longer shift into the world of can building. Sometimes you just have to eyeball the photos and develop your own methodology for parts fabrication. In short, this is can creativity at it's finest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Revell-Fan, zathros and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  10. zathros

Nice tin can ship!! ;)
  11. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Despite the fact that health issues have persisted, I have managed to keep busy building new models. The next one was inspired by the exploits Lieutenant John F. Kennedy's encounter with a Japanese destroyer on the night of August 1, 1943. The design of this model was difficult in that only so much of it could be generated from template parts. The rest had to be scratch built. This was a case on innovation in progress where the methodology for producing some of the detail parts were entirely depending on trial and error building. But in the end, I think the little PT Boat came together nicely in the camouflage like can patter of classic Mountain Dew.

She measures in at just over 16 inches long with a 4 inch beam. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Revell-Fan, zathros and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  12. zathros

13. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

The Snowspeeder looks like it came with natural weathering. :)
  14. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

The ultra busy mountain design on the can was perfect for the Snowspeeder wasn't it?!

I loved that cheap beer so much I picked up 4 cases of it at the local Grocery Outlet. At only $3.99 a case, it was perfect for building from, but not human consumption in my opinion. The Manzanita tree out back went on a drinking binge for four days and hasn't been as stable since. Even the birds wont land on him! :eek: