Soda Can Miscellaneous projects completed

Discussion in 'CAN MODELS (Both aluminium and Tin)' started by gman_93643, Feb 8, 2018.

1. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

I started this thread to post photos of models other than the prototypical aircraft models you see built from this genre of materials. Much like other forms of modeling, can modeling is not restricted to just aircraft, although many of my contemporaries build only a majority of aviation subjects.

To start of the thread, I wanted to share photos of one of my most recent projects, a classic 1980's style Formula 1 racing car. This model was not without its problems. For example, the wheels simply would not cooperate based on the original design and I had halt construction just to reinvent the wheels in order to make them functional for this model. The setback cost me the better part of a day and a half, but in the end it was worth it.

I chose RC Cola for this subject based on the fact that the can color scheme seemed most appropriate to F1 racing cars than my other choices. The model ended up being almost 14 inches long, and while it was a challenge, it was a joy to see it come to fruition..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my next subject, I'll be tackling the realm of Science Fiction where I will briefly take refuge in a galaxy far, far away as I strive to bring to life one of the iconic vessels from the Star Wars universe.

The Y-wing.

More to come soon...
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Nice, very nice!! :)
  3. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

WOW!!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:
    That is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
  4. zathros

There are some older F1 car models out there that would be stunning, i.e.:

Brabham.jpg
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  5. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Oh indeed! I had originally been eyeing a 60's era F1 racer and I simply could not locate one suitable for a enlarged build. This is a subject I would still like to tackle in the future for a detailed build...
  6. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

So next, I decided to tackle the iconic Y Wing from the Battle of Yavin as seen in Star Wars: A new Hope. I have wanted to build this one out of can for years and I can still recall with fondness the first time I saw the climactic battle scene where Jon "Dutch" Vander of Gold squadron flying a Y Wing bomber says the iconic line, "Red Leader, this is Gold Leader, we're starting our attack run..."

Of course the lumbering bombers are no match for the nimble tie fighters without the cover of the X Wings.

So this model was done out of Rockdale Light Beer with a couple of painted plastic easter eggs for the tips of the nacelles, Q-tip shafts for the main guns, and red colored paper clips for the ducting/wiring along the mid section. She measures in at a healthy 14.5 inches long and took about 30 cans to complete. One of the more challenging builds I have undertaken in recent years, especially with the very complex structures at the aft of the nacelles. Despite some cuts, a few cuss words, uttered under my breath of course, she came together over a 5 day period culminating early this afternoon. If you look closely, you'll even notice an R5 series astromech in his usual spot right behind the cockpit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    bigpetr, Printer, Revell-Fan and 2 others like this.
  7. zathros

8. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH??????????!????!!!!!!

:surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise:

THIS IS BEYOND AMAZING!!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::Bravo::Bravo::Bravo::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
  9. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Well one can hardly build within the Star Wars universe without endeavoring to build one of the most iconic starfighters of all time:

the X-wing

This one was not as tricky as the troublesome Y-wing, but the wing, engine, and laser cannons were just plain time consuming since there was, well four of each of everything to make. But in the end, it came together and I even added an R2 series astromech in the back and sent her on her way with the Y wing from the previous week.

Here is how she came out:

Nearly 13 inches long with a wingspan just over 10 inches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Rhaven Blaack

Both the Y-Wing and X-Wing look FANTASTIC!!!
    You have taken this material to a whole new level!!!
  11. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Thanks! Just now getting back up to speed after the big storm that came through our neck of the woods. Lost telephone and internet was intermittent for the better part of two days, but our issues look to be resolved. Going to start work on my next project, the T-47 Snowspeeder!

More to come soon!
  12. Rhaven Blaack

I would like to see either a Viper (any version will do) or a Thunder Fighter made of cans.
  13. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

Viper as seen in BSG?

Thunder Fighter...hmmm would that be the one from the 1980's version of Buck Rogers?
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  14. Rhaven Blaack

Why yes, yes it is!!! :yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:
  15. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

I did the original BSG Viper a few years ago when they released the series reboot with Edward James Olmos as Adama:

[​IMG]

The thunder fighter... since I was a fan of that series and I own the DVD set, I'll have to explore that one! :)
  16. Rhaven Blaack

WOW!!! :surprise::surprise::surprise:
    That looks GREAT!!!
  17. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Excellent! I think I know that template! :)
  18. zathros

Going to do any cars? :)
  19. gman_93643

gman_93643 New Member

I've done a few in my day. My favorites are the Lamborghini Gallardo 560 and a 3 window coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But hey I'm always open to new possibilities. What do you have in mind?
    Printer, Rhaven Blaack and zathros like this.
  20. zathros

Picture uploading is working. Please re-upload pictures to the forum, Thanks.

I really like the 3 window coupe! That is one of my favorite cars, you model looks great!! :);)