So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Tom,

You stuck your life on here, so you get my opinion too =]. My wife and I have been together for seven years, have lived together for 6, and have been married for a year. We too were in the same place as you are now, we knew how we were, how we felt, and where we were going and didn't care about a piece of paper that doesn;t make a difference. I can tell you though, that things do change a little bit when you make it official. Even though Alex and I have been together for so long it was like our souls merged just a little bit more and I now feel complete. I wouldnt have known what I was missing until it actually happened. I am not here to tell you what to do, and I am definately not here to tell you god is guiliting you into it (which is a wrong reason to get married). I am just letting you know how marriage has affected my life. You will know when the time is right, just keep an open mind and you might be surprised. Its a shame you guys live so far up the road it sounds like the four of us would get a long mighty fine. Talk to you later bud,

Cory

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
liven_letdie said:
Tom,

You stuck your life on here, so you get my opinion too =]. My wife and I have been together for seven years, have lived together for 6, and have been married for a year. We too were in the same place as you are now, we knew how we were, how we felt, and where we were going and didn't care about a piece of paper that doesn;t make a difference. I can tell you though, that things do change a little bit when you make it official. Even though Alex and I have been together for so long it was like our souls merged just a little bit more and I now feel complete. I wouldnt have known what I was missing until it actually happened. I am not here to tell you what to do, and I am definately not here to tell you god is guiliting you into it (which is a wrong reason to get married). I am just letting you know how marriage has affected my life. You will know when the time is right, just keep an open mind and you might be surprised. Its a shame you guys live so far up the road it sounds like the four of us would get a long mighty fine. Talk to you later bud,

Cory

Thanks Cory, that's beautiful.

You're working for M&ET RR now right? Or am I thinking of someone else? If so, I think I got some photos of you out working the other day.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
The wife gave me another one of those "Your kidding right?" moments yesterday.

We're closing on a new house on Friday and yesterday got the final approved HUD statement. I'm giving her the details about it via instant messenger that we're about $3,000 under what we were expecting to pay in closing costs (yay). She comes back, "With the savings we can probably buy all the new entertainment center, ceiling fans, and bathroom storage stuff now..... and your train stuff."
jawdrop
She's awesome. :) As much as I'd like to jump into buying the required wall standars, brackets, and shelving, I need to first pay off an Apple computer loan. Doh!

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
My Girlfriend absolutely HATED, emphasis on HATED, trains when we started going out, then I changed the approach and said I would like to involve her. Now, if I talk about an idea, although she's not mad about it, she will listen- I don't push my luck though.

She just started Scrap Booking, so now it's my turn to be attentive!

MadHatter said:
My Girlfriend absolutely HATED, emphasis on HATED, trains when we started going out, then I changed the approach and said I would like to involve her. Now, if I talk about an idea, although she's not mad about it, she will listen- I don't push my luck though.

She just started Scrap Booking, so now it's my turn to be attentive!

To steal part of a DANGERFIELD joke:
My girlfriend said she didn't like trains and said she would cut me off and I said " you can't , you don't know where I am getting it" fence1 :eek:

Mike

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
My wife has come to enjoy the hobby (she was always supportive of me in it), and lately has turned into a pretty fair structure builder. She really can't wait 'til it's time to get with the scenery, though!

-- Paul

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
My wife is actualy the person who got me into N scale modeling. That was over 30 years ago. She still gets some railroad goodies and brings them home for me.:thumb:

Got to love that! Love her too!announce1

Cogent

Jun 1, 2004
Springfield, OR
I'm really lucky. My wife's dad had model trains when she was a child and she had fond memories of them. She is very supportive of the hobby so I am trying to give it a go.

Maineiac

New Model Railroader
Feb 27, 2007
Maine
I'm 20 and single, so I can do what I want. I just hope that if/when I get married my wife won't mind me being a total train nut.

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
Hopefully this counts since im too young to be married (kinda wishing to my gf) 16....... Anyways yesterday My mother was complaining about how much stuff costs........We were at walmart to get those supllies..........Spray Adhesive $2.95...........Cardboard 3'x4'........$4.89....
ouch i know..........Delicate masking tape $6.78.......like i said she was complaining about the costs of MY hobby the fact that I pay for 90% for everything.......and while she was i was thinking this
UMM HELLO BOUGHT $104.10 LOCOS AND THATS THE LEAST OF MY WORRIES.......WHY IN THE H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS ARE YOU COMPLAINING!?! YOUR ONLY GONNA SPEND $20.00 (well around there) WHEN I SPEND $150.00 EACH YEAR!.............to tell you the truth im tired of the complaining she could be a lil mor supportive of my hobby. it hurts me when she buys $100 dollar shoes easily but she complains about paying for a few items under or around $20.00............well at least my Gf loves the pictures i take with my trains........ well i hope this counts

Attachments

• SD70M 1.jpg
    SD70M 1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 16

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I voted in the first catagory "im single, I can do what I like"

I dont have a GF right now (im 18 so im not married yet either lol) but my best friend Jackie likes what I do in MRR, she likes to design houses and draw building layouts, she wants to be a arcitectual designer when she grows up. Me, I want to be a general contractor and own my own contracting business.

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
Well this all get started with Model Airplanes. I was flying every weekend and gone from the house all the time on the weekends. well the wife did not like it and fussed about it all the time. so i sold all the model planes i had and got in to model trains at first she was happy i was going to be home all the time. Now she hates them as well. takes up to much room in the house and i keep a mess around it all the time. So it is a never win with her. Now she wont tell me she hates them but she does tell others that she cant stand it. And then they tell me how she feels about it. Maybe i should just sell it all and take up watching TV are reading.

rhtastro

Jul 27, 2007
Northern CA
I guess I'm lucky. My wife of 50 some years supports me and my hobbies no matter what. It's trains out in the train house, or star parties (astronomy observation sessions) at wherever place way into the early morning, beer brewing or maintaining the orchards on our 5 acre ranch here in NorCal or sports car racing or what other wacky thing I get into. Today she's trying to figure out what to do with the 60 lbs of grapes I picked from our vines. But it's probably a wash since she takes extensive summer vacations to Europe to see her relatives every couple of years. Also we usually spend about a month every winter in the tropics together. Hey, if you guys think model trains are expensive, and they are, just price telescopes or CCD cameras these days. I could put my whole Marklin setup into one of those cameras. Why do you think I named that little western village on my HO railroad setup "Equity Junction". See "pics of Equity Junction" on a recent thread in HO model trains on this forum. I've probably got the best wife possible.

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
My wife say's I never finish a project. I've been building a fast Mustang for years now. I'd hate to say how much money is in the moter and tranny. Never been started. I turn it by hand now and then to make sure it isn't frooze up. Scratch built a r/c plane, 6' wing span. Bought the 5 channel transmitter and a nice engine. Never been installed or started. My summer project was building a 16 x 20 deck for her. It looks really good, but she say's I didn't finish it because I didn't nail the the collum caps down, "She can help with that". I say oh well, I have fun doing what I do. That's why there called projects sign1

Do they ever get finished?

ModelSteamTrains

Nov 4, 2007
stores.ebay.com
My fiance is quite supportive of the hobby. She's the one who's encouraged me to do more scenery rather than focus on the operations aspect. She's the creative one in the relationship. She has already said I can have most of the basement in our future house for a layout. What more can a man ask for?

Does she have a sister? I kid... I kid :rofl: