So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

ukon30fan

0n30 Rail Baron of Leeds
Dec 4, 2003
Wakefield, UK
Visit site
Over the past 5 years I've steadily built up acollection of 0n30 rolling stock and probably spent a small fortune on them - at the same time my wife has been studying at our Open University ( Distance Learning ) and today we learned she has been awarded a 2.1 B.A. in Humanities and History. We've probably spent more time together this evening than over the past 5 years. Now she is starting on a new degree and I've started to build a BVM Mini-Climax.
I think we've a natural partnership going!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ukon30fan said:
Over the past 5 years I've steadily built up acollection of 0n30 rolling stock and probably spent a small fortune on them - at the same time my wife has been studying at our Open University ( Distance Learning ) and today we learned she has been awarded a 2.1 B.A. in Humanities and History. We've probably spent more time together this evening than over the past 5 years. Now she is starting on a new degree and I've started to build a BVM Mini-Climax.
I think we've a natural partnership going!
Tell her we said:

C O N G R A T S !!!!

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Who cares what she thinks.....we've been married 33 years so she's kinda stuck with mesign1

Actually she is very supportive! But like others have stated it takes mutual support to make it work in the first place!:thumb:

Rick

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
To be honest, my wife isn't USUALLY supportive of my "collections" I have collected die-cast cars since I was 15. Recently I have started collecting diecast airplanes(military) and I used to collect knives(I have sold most of them because I needed the money and they were all just sitting in a safe anyway, which is kinda of a waste).

HOWEVER, she offered to go to a local Model Train SHow here in Indianapolis. AND she offered to buy me a trainset. :thumb: I never asked or even brought it up. She knows I like trains. I can go to our local Childrens Musuem and watch them for hours and we recently went to our Zoo for an Christmas Event and they had trains set up in the indoor gardens. I loved it.... She was a bit bored I think, but she watched them with me! :)

So... so far I guess she seems supportive, if not a "pusher" :D

Wish me luck!

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
LoudMusic said:
Unless my ability to spot scale at a glance have been seriously contorted, what you have in your dining room is most definitely not N Scale, so nolatron the N-Scale'r, what is that on your wall?

Actually he has a VERY small dining room!
Shortliner (Jack(away up here in the Highlands:D :D :D

Jack Doran

Oct 23, 2002
Galesburg,IL
Visit site
Still single and loving it. I think my train t shirts and magazines say Geek. I figured I still have plenty of time for something down the line. I am 30 years old but right now I am enjoying the single life. I guess you could say I am a kid in a grownups body.

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
I THINK you could say my wife is supportive--- she has an HO 70t switcher, likes the real thing (steam) and when we moved was quite happy for me to use ALL 12x11 of what should have been the dining room !:D Only left the front room and kitchen downstairs, 2 bedrooms and bathroom upstairs--- ALL of which ended up at times as offshoots of the layout construction and storage process !!!!!!:thumb: :D :D
Yes, you could say she's supportive.:rolleyes:

BMRR

Nov 10, 2006
Alabama
My wife said my N scale trains are too little, O scale too big, but the HO trains are just right. I think she could care less about any of them.......oh well, at least I enjoy them. :)

Stan.

davidone

Jan 16, 2007
I'm 60 and will be building a new N scale layout in our new condo, i'll have more time now instead of maint. on the house, mowing grass, etc. Besides a 4000 sq. ft. house is just too big at this time in my life. I also downsized my trains from O to N, most people my age the trains get bigger not smaller but i have always been different.

Dave

drakus

Jan 11, 2007
NW Indiana
www.dragonzlair.net
Im not sure what she thinks... She knows that the kids enjoy it, but I don't know if she thinks that I should lock myself downstairs for all that time. The trains have been around longer than her... Should I keep or get rid of her isthe question. I guess I keep her and the trains. Gotta love them both!!!

sign1

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
My wife believes I need a long term hobby for my "mature years", especially one that will eliminate any tendency to grump about household chores. Since I have always been supportive of her hobbies and even shared a couple, and she had had many over the years, she is equally supportive if me.

Of course, we haven't really discussed the space requirements and cost as thoroughly as we should...:D

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
My girlfriend of 7 years can't get enough of it or the railroad museum (Western Pacific RR Museum in Portola CA), and has become an accomplished engineer, both HO scale and 1"=1' scale. Her favorite engine to operate is WP 707 at the museum, but is almost just as happy running it in HO too. She picked out the paint colors for our new freelanced shortline. She can't wait to get the new garage sized layout started and we haven't even moved yet. She was disappointed when I informed her that THAT monster was at least a good 2 years down the road after we move in, but she wants to ge going on it the day we move in. I've never seen such enthusiasm for railroading from a woman, and she has been honing her skills at tree making. It's amazing what she finds for tree making too. She's learning to weather equipment and comes up with all sorts of ideas. She's building a church diorama for the new layout even though it is a LONG ways away and has been a huge help with the current layout. She puts up with trains all over th house in display cases, and is always on the lookout for new railroad art for the walls, even though we couldn't fit one more even tiny photo frame ANYWHERE in this small place.

She also supports my other hobbies and takes part in them as well. With the racecar, she keeps stats and lap times, she participates in Old West Reenacting, and claims that my 1873 12 Gauge Shotgun is HERS, and she's also the one who collects 1/24 scale Top Fuel Dragsters and Nitro Funny Cars. Yep, she's a nitromethane junkie just like me. I think if we ever did get engaged, she'd insist on getting married at the track or at the RR museum. I don't know about THAT.... :D

Now if I could only shy her away from buying more Chessie and SP Daylight model RR stuff, we'd be all set. :D She is a great catch though. :thumb:

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
pennman said:
TOM, I agree with Bear and Torpedo,
ASK THE GIRL, your not going to get a better shot!!!

Oh, I agree. I am NOT going to find another pretty, thoughtful and caring woman to replace Alicia. Especially one to put up with me! ESPECIALLY one that enjoys the hobbies that I do.

58300004.jpg

Here we are at Portola Summer of '05 when the 3985 visited Portola for a couple of days. I did all sorts of whatever needed to be done throughout the day and she ran errands for our guys on the UP Steam Crew and did crowd control for the 3985. We were doing this on about 3 hours sleep and she never complained once the entire day.

I was engaged once and the railroad pretty much killed it, and everyone I know seems to have been divorced at least once. I have thought about it, but neither one of us have ever really talked about it. She's been divorced once and wasn't really anxious to get married again, I certainly wasn't after breaking up with my ex, so, though we've been together for 8 years and living together for 7, we haven't really considered it. Besides. The word marriage is just a piece of paper claiming that we've been together and love each other. We already know that! :D

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
CCT70 said:
Besides. The word marriage is just a piece of paper claiming that we've been together and love each other. We already know that! :D

Tom

I hear this assertion too often, and I have to express my disagreement with the premise. Marriage can be, and should be, a whole lot more than just an official license to live together. A wedding is not a contract ratification ceremony, but rather an exchange of vows (solemn promises) before God, authorities, and friends. I'll leave the topic there because this is a forum about trains.

just my thoughts because all humans were created in the likeness of God. Part of that likeness includes the ability to choose...sometimes I choose to play with trains