So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

CBCNSfan

What a great relationship you guys must have
Hi cabdriver and thanks. Yes it's a great relationship, we've been married 41 years and retired now. I have a digital camera so I can take a shot of a questionable area come right up put it on the screen and get her opinion. She's my greatest supporter, I only wish she could navigate the stairs. Oh! well she does get to open our purchases on ebay first :D
Cheers Wilis

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Great Poll!!! Fantastic comments!! :D :D

My wife - tolerates the trains like I tolerate her playing Star Wars galaxies (Online Gaming). She has very little interest, except to look at what I create & give a comment or Three. :)

My Step-Daughter likes to see what I've built & Sometimes asks a question or 2 (She's 21)

If we have company & the topic of trains comes up (Almost always :D ) She'll say - Yeah!! Go show off the layout!! Go!!!! :) :D :)

Now, who could refuse that! :) So - some of us will migrate down to the cellar to look at what has been added or changed & some stay upatairs & talk about us. :D :D

belg

Delamaize said:
Well as for my wife, she says "at least it isn't drinking drugs, fast women or faster cars" I guess thats a good thing right?
I fall into this category and also get the little digs about being a geek, one of these days I might just come home with an engineers hat and coveralls when her friend(s) are over to stoke the fire.

cpr_boy, have you ever heard the old adage once you say I do they don't, watch out for that one. Pat

Papa Bear

Mama Bear has been very supportive of my railroading. She goes with me to the train shows and even lets me do some railfanning. She's been a real blessing.

Delamaize

Hey papa bear, I see you are in south alabama, I have a question for you, what city are you in and what scale do you do? I am at Ft. Rucker. and I do N scale.
Papa Bear said:
Mama Bear has been very supportive of my railroading. She goes with me to the train shows and even lets me do some railfanning. She's been a real blessing.

grumbeast

well my wife is really supportive, she bought our house while I was out of province partly based on the fact that It had a finished basement for me! and she continues to support me in buying me railroad presents! I think we seem to be very lucky with spouses!

Graham

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
What can you say...
Better-Half bought Rivorossi Big Boy and 2 Athearn Sd70's for me for a birthday present.
And even though she has bad legs..Will walk for hours with me at the Springfield show.
Who could ask for more...............

My wife recently bought a Jet Ski. She mercilessly demands that we spend time with each other and the children running around Falls Lake on or behind it. She even insits on bringing other families and children! I think she just doesn't want me to work on the models. That's probably why she bought me the exhaust upgrade for my motorcycle. She also keeps insiting that I finish my woodworking shop.

My life is hell.

Jodam

After realising i was no longer physically capable of building & racing cars, i was fast becoming a couch potato, until my wife suggested, selling the car & starting some hobby between us, i had modelled most things, with wheels, propellors and sails, over 40 yrs, & Jo is into crafts & Dolls house miniatures.

We put half the sale price into a joint N-scale venture & are loving it

March '04 saw the car go & the benchwork started, Jo is great at structures & trees, & i'm really into the engineering/construction & freelance design.

As other disabled modellers will know, work progresses slowly, very slowly with both of us disabled.
Cheers. :D

spitfire

I am my own wife, and I'm very supportive of my model railroading! I never complain when my honey-do list gets longer and longer, because I'm just glad that I know where I am every night. It's a great arrangement! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Val

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
spitfire said:
I am my own wife, and I'm very supportive of my model railroading! I never complain when my honey-do list gets longer and longer, because I'm just glad that I know where I am every night. It's a great arrangement! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Val
Is that why When I come into chat.. I find you talking to yourself?!?!?! :eek: :eek:

That's a great answer :) :D :) :D :)

Pooh Bah
It looks good for our domestic arrangements.
After a month and a half, we have 90 votes, and only 7 are unfavourable.
49 are supportive, and 18 are, well, "not opposed".

i know my wife hate my trains. she says i spend more time with them than her. in fact i do they don't tell me dear we need to go to the in laws for dinner or nag about somthing . i know she loved it when i sold my old layout and got a gas r/c truck from my dad to try r/c racing but she nagged about that when that one truck turned into 3 trucks and 2 cars and 2 boats and a jet all gas she tells me i spend more time at the hobby shop than home. and when she gave me a space to do another layout it was her idea. she missed me in the ther room working on a layout and when something come out worng "like hitting finger with hammer" or grabing the worng end of a hot sodering iron. or getting the worng color paint from the air brush where you don't want it . and having a fit like a 2 year old. but i know she is right their to see the progress of it and puts her 2 cents in. on picking buildings and how thing should look but trying to get her to work on it next to me .must be like a mother giving brith get this over with. but i know she is some where behind me on all my hobbies. like my last onewith was taking a model of the uss new jersey and turning it into r/c . i know she is looking forward to see what this layout looks like when finshed. "she is already asking me if i am going to seel this one also becouse i sold the last 3 i did in the last 3 years. i told her if the price is right just like the others."

fifer

As most of you may know , my wife is my business partner and really supports the layout and the shop and really does the hard work (packing and shipping , books and taxes). She is always there to tell me if something isn't right or when it looks good. I also support her hobbies as well. No hobbies = dull life !!! I wouldn't trade her for anything! Well maybe Meg Ryan ;) .

Mike

Jodam

Jo my wife is an active modeller, and gets more done than i do. Infact it was her suggestion to go back to Model Rail when i sold my Race car & all equipment, this is the first time we've shared a hobby, and we're having a ball. Although she hates all my helpful improvement ideas. lol

Cheers

Papa Bear

Delamaize said:
Hey papa bear, I see you are in south alabama, I have a question for you, what city are you in and what scale do you do? I am at Ft. Rucker. and I do N scale.

Hey D! Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I'm in Troy and I also do N scale.

slurp

My wife just looks and occasionally asks me when i'm going to do something with all the bits lying around. Really must move on one of these days from designing the layout to actually doing something about it:D

Iron Goat

Heck, when I retired for the last time... my wife TOLD me to get a hobby. She reminded me of my trains that had been boxed up since 1964. Ever since then, if I mention something about my layout, she just smiles and nods.... but our seven grandkids think the trains are as good as it gets.

Bob

Do you really want to know ???

Last week, we were buying some new furniture for ours new living room. She stands in front of an shelf wall and means "This one would be great. There is a place for tv, dvd-player, reciever and a nice showcase on the left. On the other side, we can install ours music-station. And on this shelf on top, you can place a n-scale layout..."

Yes !!!
thumbsup.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif