So, what does your wife think?

In your opinion, what does your wife think of your model railroading?

• I'm single, I can do what I like!

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • She hates it with a passion, and wishes I'd stop

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • She ignores it, and hopes the fad will pass

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • She's occasionally makes the odd nice comment, provided I don't spend the mortgage

Votes: 69 29.0%
  • She's supportive and is happy to admit it to her friends

Votes: 55 23.1%
  • She likes it, and even joins in a bit here and there

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • She's probably a better model railroader than me, and certainly more keen

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

kishonadish

Aug 14, 2009
Just starting a first layout in the garage! She keeps popping her head round the door, just to make sure I haven't run off!

finkem5

German Bundesbahner
Aug 16, 2009
New York, NY
N scale helps

Yes, I also found that my wife like the n-scale because they are cute. At one point I was considering HO, and she really didn't like the idea.

BTW: Isn't there one option missing in the vote options: "I am a woman and I model railroad, so what are you talking about?". Are there really 0 female humans who build model railroads?

eddieb

Jun 12, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
I'd have to say that my wife is very supportive of my "addiction" to model railroading, provided I don't spend too much over my quota. I will have to say that I get nearly $300 a month, which goes a long way with good planning!

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
My girlfriend and I are moving into a new house next month (hopefully!) and we went to view it today. There's a well kept lean-to shed out back, her first comment on it being "somewhere for your models".

She's always been accepting of my hobby, I think she sees that there is a positive street-cred difference between railfanning and model railroads, and is glad that I chose the latter. Even if it is a bit geeky, she's the type who doesn't care what other people think, and yet she's still one of the "cool kids".

She's told me that she really wants to have a hobby, but never found an interest in anything. Since we've been together I haven't had or built a layout, so I'm hoping that she'll find some inspiration when I get started on an N scale project that I'm planning.

S W M B O (She Who Must Be Obeyed)

I had been an armchair modeler since my mid teens and all the way through my adult life. The problem was that when the late teens came along, so did my fascination with girls and cars.

Then in my mid twenties, (early to mid 1960's) along came marriage and children. The kids got involved in Hockey for the boy and Ballet for the girl and then they both got involved in Figure Skating. Do you people know how much it costs to keep 2 kids in those three sports? So much for Model Trains. I was, however able to afford my MRRer magazine most months, so I was happy. Then in '82 we bought a new house which required lots of overtime to keep from losing it sign1 .

When I retired in '97 I started thinking in earnest about starting a model railroad. I had collected a number of Loco's and rolling stock and had a little loop around the Christmas Tree. Then one day in the Hobby Shop, I was admiring a particularly nice engine and showing S W M B O and she said in a "Stage Whisper" that the whole store must have heard, "You are not buying any more trains until you build a layout to run the trains that you already have". Don't get me wrong folks, she doesn't begrudge me spending the money on trains, she just didn't like the idea of all that equipment ( Read $$$$$ ) sitting in their neat little plastic cases gathering dust from one Christmas to the next. So my little 3Ft X 6Ft. layout was conceived and came to fruition. To read about what I am doing on my layout, please see my "Welcome to the Forums Thread.

Best to all.

Blue Flamer.

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Jun 14, 2010
Omro, WI
www.facebook.com
First off I think this thread should be in a more general category, as I model in HO scale. That being said, my wife can't justify that even though enough money was set off to the side for me to buy my Fox Valley Models Hiawatha set which set us back $575 that it was a good investment. As I explained to her, eventually over time that set will go out of production and will be sought after by collectors/modelers. Sure I won't get the same kind of return on investment (God forbid I have to sell my collection) on say... Athearn shake-the-box kits as my brass Milwaukee Road S3 Northern (the older production one, but still). I'm just glad I bought most of my toys prior to marriage... wish I would have done the same with my 1972 Chevy Truck, but trains were more important.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
She knew the job was dangerous when she took it.

My wife knew what she was in for. At the time we started dating seriously, as sophomores at the University of the South (Sewanee Tn,). At that time, I had , in my dorm room, a two module switching layout, with full scenery, and hand laid track. After we graduated and married, she consented to the purchase of a 100 year old farm house, with a view of a long railroad trestle in the front yard'

My wife doesn't like the clutter and mess associated with my projects, but is happy to know just where I am, as I'm making that mess.

Bill Nelson