So how do I renumber these engines? Is it easy?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by FM 1446, Nov 11, 2004.

1. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

So I got two Union Pacific SD90's with the same number since they were much cheaper on Ebay than at an online retailer. Here is a picture of the engine:

[​IMG]

and I plan to order these Microscale decals to renumber the engine to number 8076:

[​IMG]

So I was wondering whether or not someone has renumbered an N Scale Union Pacific SD90 and can give me tips and techniques on how to renumber the engine. Someone said to used rubbing alcohol but then I think I read somewhere that it might ruin the paint. So any help on this would be really great. I can't seem to find a tutorial online for detailing trains so I need you guys. :)
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

You can use 91% rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover (besure to get the kind with acetone in it).Neither of these will harm the paint .Though I would suggest that you use either one very carefully by dipping a cotton swab in to your chosen liquid and gently rubbing on the offending lettering.

I use acetone on my KATO locos and the nice thing is that it will leave a slightly glossy surface purfect for decaling.
  3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks for the tip, I have some AC4400's that I want to re number too.
  4. sschaer

sschaer Member

i use 95% alcohol. other than catt! i don't like the shiny surface after removing the numbers. so after renumbering the units i completely disassemble the shell, take out the windows and give it a coat of semi-gloss finish. after that you won't notice that the shell has been renumbered.

mike,
    currently 10 of my 56 ac4400 are renumbered....
  5. igoldberg

igoldberg New Member

RE: Renumbering Engines

I mask the area to be renumbered with masking tape. Then I use solvaset on the numbers to be removed. After a couple of minutes, I LIGHTLY rub the area with a pencil eraser. It takes about twice to remove all of the numbers but not the paint. After that you can remove the masking tape and renumber the engine.
  6. Secret Weapon

Secret Weapon Member

You can use a pencil eraser also.
  7. igoldberg

igoldberg New Member

That is what I use. If you rub lightly, so as not to remove the paint, it works well, I would not use alcohol as it is one of the best solvents around and might remove the paint on the engine.
  8. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

So a pencil eraser is better? Yeah, I don't want to deal with paint at all. I was gonna buy an engine with a different number but this one was so much cheaper on Ebay that I couldn't pass it up.

All I want to do is take off the old numbers and put on the new. No repainting or stuff like that. I hope this eraser doesn't rub off the paint.
  9. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha FM, IMHO, the eraser is more likely to remove paint than alcohol, which is a very mild solvent, or Pin-Sol which is an even milder than alcohol.
  10. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

:lol: Thanks for the response...but now I'm more confused than ever. So try Pine-Sol? It looks like every method has a good chance of removing paint. I'm not even sure if I can find the right Union Pacific yellow if paint does come off.
  11. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

FM, Unless it's painted with watercolors, alcohol or Pine-sol on a Q-tip wont remove the yellow. The lettering is more like printed ink than paint, so it will desolve way before the paint below. To ease your mind, try it on a spot that doesn't show. re. July 04 Model Railroader magazine, pg. 28, "Changing factory applied lettering" the author uses Pine-sol to remove the BNSF logo from a SD70MAC.
  12. ghostconductor

ghostconductor New Member

Here is a link to some stuff especially made for Katos, and more.

http://www.joesmodeltrains.com/paint_decal_%20remover.htm

http://www.joesmodeltrains.com/1kato.jpg

13. FM 1446

FM 1446 New Member

14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I have to renumber some CP AC4400's too, I'll let you know how I make out.
  15. sschaer

sschaer Member

mike the cp ac4400 are easy to renumber. takes less than two minutes to remove the old numbers from the shell. the numberboards are somewhat more tricky....