so excited

roch

I finally got some money to start my new layout. :excited1::woot1:
My first 2 attempts ended in failure. I had no idea about this forum and all of the cool people here back then. Reading posts and getting advice has given me the confidence that I shall suceed this time. I will buy extra foam base just incase though. :wink:

I got a web cam which I hope I can get some decent pics with to share my progress. Wish me luck. :wave:

they say if you put your mind to it it can be done and with the suport from the nice people here it will be done. way to go roch and best of luck, cant wait to see some pics.:thumb:

MCL_RDG

Let the thin air take you over the top! Just remember- Dynamic Brakes only help- what you need is high beams, horns and a camera. A bit of exhuberance is called for as well.

Roll 'em!

roch

Let the thin air take you over the top! Just remember- Dynamic Brakes only help- what you need is high beams, horns and a camera. A bit of exhuberance is called for as well.

Roll 'em!

You lost me there. Please translate into newbie language. :eek:

There is not much to see yet. All I have got done so far is get a couple coats of some "oops" paint on my styro base. I blew almost all of the money I got on just basic stuff like paint, solder, flux, brushes......and I have not even been to the hobby shop yet. I did get lucky with the paint though. I got a $10 can of paint for $1 because it was mixed wrong for someone else and turned out to be a great natural looking shade of brownish greenish soil color. I was a bit bummed out that they had no blue styrofoam for the base. I was hoping that when I carved lakes, rivers and what not that I would not have to use blue paint under whatever I end up finishing the waterways with. All they had was the cheap white stuff and high quality pink stuff. And they would not cut it to the size I wanted. Against store policy. Luckily I had my box cutter with me.:thumb: That sort of upset the guy helping me because it was better than his even with a dull blade. :thumb:

I'll keep ya posted. I will be up till the dawn if anyone wants to PM me.

Roch

roch

I took some horrid pics of it using my roomies web cam. Now I just have to have a cocktail to calm down and figure out how to add the best of the worste to a reply. fun fun fun sign1

nkp174

Roll 'em!

It's diesel terminology.

What do you have along the lines of trains/track? I focus my time on rollingstock (cars)...and my money on motive power (steam locomotives) and tools. I've spend only a limited amount of effort/money on my layout for now...as it is a temporary layout. I'd emphasis getting your mainline down as quickly as possible...you can scenic it later. Don't worry about fancy wiring...just get trains up and running so that it gives you some satisfaction...and isn't just headaches.

It is wise to gain a little satisfaction...an appetizer. Here's a major locomotive restoration...note that the nose door has been painted?
harv6.jpg

That little bit helped with the psychological struggle to get it to where it is here:
190pa009.jpg

Our layouts are similar.

roch

:wave:I made it to the hobby shop taday and got some spare parts and a roll of plaster cloth for mountains and tunnels.

Any advice about using the cloth would be great. :wave:

Roch

mcbane666

cut it in one foot sections (even cut it at half width) you want pieces that are small and easy to lay but not to small ( the size of a narrow piece of paper towel works well.

when you place it in the water (cooking sheet works great) you want to rub it and fill all the holes with the plaster (nopt every hole is fill with plaster so just work the sheet)

make sure you have the edges flush with your surface, or they will be a pain later when they dry.

feel free to drape the cloth over the sides of the layout then cut a straight line with a box cutter of xacto later

roch

update W/pics

Low quality pics. Sorry. :eek:ops:

300144824.jpg

300144818.jpg

These are after painting and playing around with track plans.

roch

more progress and pics

300144393.jpg
300144396.jpg
300144399.jpg
300144391.jpg

The last pic is the start of a tunnel that wll go under a mountain covering the grey rerailer. A stream is going to come down the mountain and under the bridge.

I know it pretty looks sad so far but it will turn out great, I hope.

Roch