Sn3 conversoins

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Sn3 has evolved into a hobby of buying P-B-L brass and cars and discussing building colorado narrow gauge with it. I don't think anyone does conversions anymore. Here is the best S scale website:

S SCALE MODEL RAILROADING

Harold

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Hmmm...I may change my mind about my layout and go Sn3. I'm a lotm ore interested in structures, figures and stuff than RR operations, and this would be great.

Now, if I can squeeze everything by 10%...or sweet talk the wife for 10% more space...:rolleyes:

Oh, Sweetheart.....:cool:

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
If you want to do late 1870-early 1880 there is my approach using HO track gauge for Sn3.5.

oil_transfer_june_07.jpg

june_07.jpg

I have the why at:

Why Sn3.5 for Modeling the 1870's ?

Thank you if you visit
Harold

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Sn3 has evolved into a hobby of buying P-B-L brass and cars and discussing building colorado narrow gauge with it. I don't think anyone does conversions anymore.

That loco looks like a conversion to me, and you are "someone", so I think conversions are still done. I do like the way there is no hard line between your foreground, and background in that first shot, and the line is only barely noticable in the second. Nice work!

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I am doing Sn3.5 in the 1870's which is a whole different animal than Sn3. Very few people are making conversions in Sn3. Too bad, S scale is the perfect layout size. All those coarse details you see on HO layouts become the right size in S and all those details that O scale needs can be omitted in S.
Converting HO equipment to Sn3.5 produces a much better product than the caricature On30 equipment based on HO. The fact that HO is about 3/4 the size of S also equates to 3.5 ft gauge which is 3/4 of standard gauge.

obj118geo87pg1p33.jpg

Our under construction Sn3.5 Roundhouse 4-4-0/IHC oldtime merge detailed at:

Make an 1870's 4-4-0

A "what-if" 1870's railroad in 3.5 ft gauge is quite logical. Using the Philadelphia and Atlantic City Railroad as a premise and moving it to a different locale.

Thank you. If you build some sort of line between the backdrop and the foreground it blends them together better. It stops the eye at the wall of bushes or a fence also works.

Harold

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Wasn't this layout featured in Model Railroading not long ago? The bottom photo with the bridge and portal looks familiar - IIRC, the artickle had something to do with modelliong the tall grasses that feature prominently in the foreground?

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
My layout was featured in the Kalmbach's Model Railroad Planning 2007. I had my first article in the March 2005 Railroad Model Craftsman on making grass from faux fur. That article is on the website at:

Faux Fur Grass for Realistic Scenery

Originally the layout was On30.

mogul_on_stream.JPG

I found that I was more of an S scaler and am coverting the layout to Sn3.5 in the 1870's. That combines my two modeling loves S scale and the 1870's. I find that S scale is the perfect scenery scale. All those too coarse textures found on most HO layouts become the right size in S and it doesn't require tons of scenic textures like O scale. It is the right size.

Harold