SMS Oldenburg

Joseph

Jan 27, 2004
Prague, Bohemia
www.e-papermodels.com
Because I'm allowed to destroy and spoil as many models as I want (he he, good to be a vendor), and after seeing all those fantastic builds on polish sites, I decided to experiment with this armored corvette.
First, the hull. What's your opinion? I've always found that the "paper hull plating", with many seams, doesn't look really good. So I went "multimedia".
Car putty, sanding, anti-rust primer, again and again (about one week :roll: ) and here's the result...

Could be better but I got tired of sanding :-D

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
Wow! And your Pietropawlowsk looks fantastic, too.

Sure you don't want to translate that thread into English for us? :wink:

Regards,

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Strengthening & Waterproofing Paper Hull Structures

Joseph,

One method that will strengthen the paper and is completely compatible with "auto filler" is to coat the hull with thinned polyester resin before adding the auto filler or bondo as we call it here. Thinned with 50% styrene monomer it will penetrate the paper thouroughly before setting. It also makes the entire structue waterproof. Bondo is actually polyester resin with a filler to thicken it (flour was used in the original) and will stick to without any problems. I know someone on Kartonbau that's making a ship model that could use this method. Couldn't believe he float tested in the bathtub, I nearly crossed myself..,

-Gil

Joseph

Jan 27, 2004
Prague, Bohemia
www.e-papermodels.com
Golden Bear said:
I love the hull, but personally couldn't live with something that cracks when handled. I put my fingers on my models a lot when I build them... somehow I need to FEEL them as I fit parts in order to feel comfortable.

Oh yes you can touch it, I meant it cracks if you squeeze it in such a way that you would even damage a 'pure paper' hull !

@cdcoyle: it's not my pietropawlowsk and I don't speak polish:) But the pictures are self-explanatory...

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
Joseph said:
@cdcoyle: it's not my pietropawlowsk and I don't speak polish:) But the pictures are self-explanatory...

Oh...well I'm sure yours will turn out just as nice!

Joseph

Jan 27, 2004
Prague, Bohemia
www.e-papermodels.com
Most of the formers have to be laminated on 2mm cardboard. I had only 1mm thick cardboard, so I glued 2 sheets with this glue in spray. Quite good:

All the decks are ready:

Central parts of the hull flanks:

I always color the edges:

Home-made joining strip, as none is provided with the kit:

Sorry for the bad quality of pictures (webcam) ...

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
I have that model! Although I don't know when I will get around to building it. I love Blohm & Voss aircraft -- surely one of the most unorthodox design bureaus of all time! As a kid I built the old Airfix BV 141 kit.

Regards,

Joseph

Jan 27, 2004
Prague, Bohemia
www.e-papermodels.com
I continue with the decks:

Lower decks

Upper stern deck

Upper bow deck

View from the bow. The upper deck is not glued yet, as I'm really unsure about the fit of the deck/flanks plating/underwater hull. I keep it unglued so I can make some dry assembly testing

JHS

Oct 18, 2006
Brilliant job, Joseph! You achieved the same effect as using an expensive resin hull from GPM! Looks fit for a museum.