Smokin' Diesels!

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
OK, since some troublemaker ( :p ) in my winter pics thread was complaining about the lack of smoke from some of the trains, I'm offering these few images in compensation.

Since they're not really in the winter, I figured I'd better start a new thread.

So, first, the kings of smoke, the Alco/MLW family, one from each of the big guys.

CN 2334 smokes it up with a pair of her Montreal kin as they're about to head up the hill at Bayview Jct.
2335bayview.jpg

Here, CP 4212 and a few of her sisters cough up the black stuff pulling a WB out of Zorra siding:
4212zorra.jpg

And just to show that 4-strokes don't have all the fun, here's a quartet of CP Geeps heading East out of Hamilton through Bayview Jct.:
smokingeeps.jpg

And finally, a little hotfoot action, CN 2114 and company blow off some brake smoke bringing a heavy train down the escarpment into Bayview:

brakesmoke.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Back in the 50s, I was a t our station watching trains. The first was a diesel passenger (probably FPAs), then a small freight with a steamer drifted in behind it. The steamer was producing just the merest hint of white steam, but when the Alcos started they belcheda ton of black smoke. (maybe this should go in the pollution thread)

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
A few years ago, I was visiting the Grand Canyon Railway. As you may know, they run both diesel and steam. One day I was watching a train and thought it was headed up by a steamer. I looked again, and it was a good old Alco. Lots of nice black smoke.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Thanks! They're a little fuzzier than the original, due to my cheezy slide scanner, but you get the idea. :)

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I'm using an Epson Photo Perfection (ha!) 1260 flatbed scanner. It has a slide and negative adapter that fit on the bed, and a separate lamp that sits on top. The pictures are OK, but they don't have the snap or sharpness of the original slides.

To be fair to the scanner, I haven't experimented a lot with different settings to see if I can improve it much.

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
scanner recomendation

after using an hp photo smart scanner, (first one) which did a good job and would not work with winxp I got a prime film PF 1800 AFL which was hyped at the time. didn't do a real good job so when my mother handed me a box of 50 to 100 year old family negatives of various sizes I had to get a better scanner. I settled for the epson 4990 photo scanner which although pricy ($415) at Beach camera. I'm very very pleased with the results. I would recomend this one to anyone. It is slow but can scan up to 12600 dpi, has digital ice to remove dust and will do up to an 8x10 neg. I have done some 110 negs too and got acceptable results. It does use a lot of ram (I have 2gb and can only do 16 negs at a time at 3200dpi)
Charlie

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Charlie,

I'm not sure I want to sink that much into a "dead" technology... I'm waiting for the next big breakthrough in digital technology so I can get an 8-10 megapixel SLR for under $200.... :). One that has an effective iso of 800 or so, and will take my Nikon glass...

... oh, and since I'm wishing, I'd like to marry a beautiful, rich nymphomaniac who owns a Ferrari dealership. :)

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
It's funny how the quality of scans can vary from one image to the next.

Here's a trio of Dash 8-40CM's smoking their way into an early morning in Paris ON.

dawnges.jpg

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Thanks! I think it's a corollary to the "Infinite Number of Monkeys and Typewriters" theory... if I take enough shots at enough locations... :)

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Here's a few for Chessie... they're not Canadian, but they are smokin'!

Here's a trio of Chessie units pulling a coal drag into Upper Sandusky, OH (note the trailing GP30!)
chessie6029.jpg

Here's CSX (nee Chessie) 6010 with 2619 and a B&O GP40 smoking a freight through Fostoria OH:
csx6010fostoria.jpg

And finally Seaboard System U30C 7215 smokes train 134 past F Tower in Fostoria OH.
sbd7215.jpg