smoke

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Do any deisle engines have a smoke unit in them? also do the HO scales smoke alot like G/O scales?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Our modular club has discovered the hard way when being set up at shows next to Lionel and G scale clubs that smoke units and ho don't mix. The smoke is oil based and leaves oil residue all over any rails nearby.

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Do alot of engines have a smoke unit? in HO scale, i have O scale and i know what you mean by the oil it leaves behind.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Bachmann and Mantua have had them in the past, Tyco has its Chattanooga Choo Choo as well. I've only seen it done on one layout, an N scale modular one that has an excellent paper mill module on it. I was too busy gawking at the beautifully etched brass railings and catwalks to notice if it impressed me any...

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 with a smoke unit on a very small display unit. My grandson likes to see the locomotive smoke so I use the liquid smoke when he's around. Sooner or later, I have to clean the track with denatured alcohol on an old T-shirt as it will start running poorly because after the smoke goes up, it comes down on the track. I also have to clean the drive train on the 0-6-0. We use the same denatured alcohol to warm the fondue pots. Hmmmm, I wonder (since it is flammable) if it caused the sparks on the track when the train was running after a clean-up?

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
That would be a good experiment to try, put a little one the track and make it spark. or course do it on an old peice of track and away from everything

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
Most of the smoke produced by HO scale steamers is a very weak jerky puff. Maybe the new BLI cap forward has a more robust smoke unit but the steamers I've had and run (B-man 0-6-0's) we're weak sauce.

Bachmann_I10sa

Feb 5, 2005
I have a B-mann 0-6-0 as well, only two months old, and mine doesn't work well either. It makes pathetic thin streams of smoke before the stupid unit floods itself and stops puffing altogether. I have an old B-mann 4-8-4 that I just purchased that smokes very well.....but after I read this post originally, I checked my tracks and found a messload of oil residue on them....so I don't think I'll be running any locomotives with smoke fluid in them anymore