smoke

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Livesteam, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Do any deisle engines have a smoke unit in them? also do the HO scales smoke alot like G/O scales?
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

You'd think at least the Alco models would...couch, cough, wheeze ;) :thumb: :p
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Our modular club has discovered the hard way when being set up at shows next to Lionel and G scale clubs that smoke units and ho don't mix. The smoke is oil based and leaves oil residue all over any rails nearby.
  4. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Do alot of engines have a smoke unit? in HO scale, i have O scale and i know what you mean by the oil it leaves behind.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Bachmann and Mantua have had them in the past, Tyco has its Chattanooga Choo Choo as well. I've only seen it done on one layout, an N scale modular one that has an excellent paper mill module on it. I was too busy gawking at the beautifully etched brass railings and catwalks to notice if it impressed me any...
  6. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 with a smoke unit on a very small display unit. My grandson likes to see the locomotive smoke so I use the liquid smoke when he's around. Sooner or later, I have to clean the track with denatured alcohol on an old T-shirt as it will start running poorly because after the smoke goes up, it comes down on the track. I also have to clean the drive train on the 0-6-0. We use the same denatured alcohol to warm the fondue pots. Hmmmm, I wonder (since it is flammable) if it caused the sparks on the track when the train was running after a clean-up?
  7. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Better be careeful, or you might get more smoke than you bargained for. :D :D
  8. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

That would be a good experiment to try, put a little one the track and make it spark. or course do it on an old peice of track and away from everything
  9. LIRR

LIRR Member

Most of the smoke produced by HO scale steamers is a very weak jerky puff. Maybe the new BLI cap forward has a more robust smoke unit but the steamers I've had and run (B-man 0-6-0's) we're weak sauce.
  10. Bachmann_I10sa

Bachmann_I10sa Member

I have a B-mann 0-6-0 as well, only two months old, and mine doesn't work well either. It makes pathetic thin streams of smoke before the stupid unit floods itself and stops puffing altogether. I have an old B-mann 4-8-4 that I just purchased that smokes very well.....but after I read this post originally, I checked my tracks and found a messload of oil residue on them....so I don't think I'll be running any locomotives with smoke fluid in them anymore