Small Station

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
A dozen or so years ago, after dropping my youngest boy off at Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, I stopped at the BAR yard in Searsport to take some pictures. In the intervening years 'tween then and now, I hadn't paid much attention to the shots but, a while ago, I was intrigued with the old, run-down station I found there and an equally run-down coach turned tool car (another project). I decided, like the car, I had to have one for my layout. I didn't have the foresight to take measurements so, I had to guess at them but, having one that kinda looks like the original is good enough for me. This is what I saw at Searsport:

Attachments

• searsportstation.jpg
    searsportstation.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 293

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Unfortunately, I didn't take many photos during construction. The basic building is styrene (clapboard siding and various strips). I used Grandt Line station windows and doors. Not having a good deal of courage and not able to find half round windows in N scale, I opted not to do the half round windows.

Attachments

• station01scr.jpg
    station01scr.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 283

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I'd like to thank the many friends on the Gauge who encouraged me during this project but, a special thanks goes to Bill Pontin who solved a roofing problem by sending me some roofing material he cast himself. As you can see, it's just perfect for this building. The finished building before placing on the layout:

Attachments

• station08scr.jpg
    station08scr.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 255

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I tried to make it look run-down but, yet, still leave open the possibility that it might still be in use. One last view:

Attachments

• station10scr.jpg
    station10scr.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 267
P

philip

Dick: yee ha! lookin nice. Whats the industry in the background?

philip;)

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Thanks, Friends, for all the kind comments. It was a fun project.

Philip: the photo was taken in the BAR yards at searsport looking south towards the docks. There are two there, one for freight and one for the unloading of coal (at one time) for the Sprague Company. The docks would be just to the left and out of picture, Sprague Co. to the right and out of the picture. The machinery you see is probably the conveyors for unloading coal from the ships that frequented this ice free port. Presently, to the right, are a number of oil storage tanks.

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
auburn, ME - SLR mile 29.34
Visit site
dick, nice work. you will have to bring that one up next time the maine contingent hooks up!

you need to get fred to get an evergreen display for the store!

did you use 0.040" for the walls? I wish I could get 0.020" scribed siding, make my life much easier. I am almost ready to start the nightmare I mean roof on my gorham station....

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
My station in Lucky Hell

I have just seen the beutiful pictures on this topic. For my layout I was looking for a small depot, so why do not to build this one. And it happened since last Friday.

Attachments

• dsc00038.jpg
    dsc00038.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 132