Small layout

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
I am not a complete novice railroad modeler. Once I built relatively small size HOn3 layout featuring American logging line that I like very much. Later when I moved to new home I had to throw it away.
Seeing many excelent locos, rolling stocks and layout I am unable to resist the attraction of rebuild my layout.
Here one problem is limited space. I must give up to run three track shays or On3 locos.
I am going to build a layout that have 150mm radius curve so that HOn30 Bettsy can pass there.
Size of the layout I am envisioning is approx 20inch by 40inch.

Does somebody know whether small layout pictures are in this site that I can refer to making mine?

Trains I have in hand are in the picture
logging_line.jpg

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Thanks a lot.
I have visited both two sites and saw interersting planning and pictures at micro/small layout. For a certain time, I will enjoy planning micro layout in one way and another.
And thanks to move my post to right place.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm not sure what a 155mm radius curve is in inches. If it is small enough to allow an oval on 20 inches x 40 inches, I would do an oval on the base for continous running, build a big mountain so that most of the oval is hidden. Leave some sort of access to rerail trains inside the tunnell, and then build a switch back up the mountain to a logging camp on top. It would seem to me that with a small passing siding to act as a sort of interchange between the oval and the switch back sections, that you could get a lot of operation in a small space that way.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
6" is one of the most common minimum radii on the Micro Layouts site (mentioned above). "Micro" was originally defined as less than 3 square feet, then less than 4 square feet. The latter has beeen used for most of the time the Micro Layouts site has been around, but now they have many plans larger than that.

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Thank you everybody for kind help.
Sometimes perhaps I feel like just want to see engines running so I want layout has oval. And sometimes I want to do some operation. Switch back might be interesting.
First, I must decide to make my layout as logging line, mining, dockside or...

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
On30 Bachmann porter is able to pass 6 inch radius curve with the modification of trailing wheel swinging mechanism.
Considering smooth running, On30 might be better.
porter.JPG

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Yu,

That's a great looking pair on that tight curve. Very nice! Keep us up to date with your plans...

I think I am tempted to try some On30 stuff myself, especially if it can be done in less than 4 square feet. ;)

Andrew

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Thank you guys
With realistically painted figures and details enhance even small layouts!!! Still I can not make up my mind whether to feature mining, logging, port .....

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Brought out 1 foot x 1 foot HOn30 layout like object from loft that I made about 20 years ago and put saw mill with ground behind it.
Seeing it, I think 1' x 2' layout might be fine

small_layout_2.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice work - looks like it's in great shape for a 20 year old layout!

I agree that the big tank looks out of place - how about a horizontal barrel type on peeled log stilts?

I guess that you have decided to go with the logging theme?

Andrew

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Thank you Andrew
Horizontal barrel type water tank sound good. I tried to find it out on line shop to buy it's kit but so far was not able to find.
I have not dismissed other themes. The reason I made logging line layout plan was that all structures in hand are for logging theme.
I found out many attractive kits at Builders in Scale and am going to try find out other shops

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Today horizontal barrel type water tank I ordered was delivered.
Next is to find out how to make conifer.

Attachments

• watertank.jpg
    watertank.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 14