Small design

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by fimdan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. fimdan

fimdan Member

In my last thread I complained about not being able to finish anything so I decided to build something smaller.

So Here it is, a small gun in 1:100 scale (part of my K-21 sub). It will be about 4 cm long. Small scale forces me to give up on a lot of details. I don't think I can add any more parts without making them too small to hold in my fingers.

Let see if I can build this thing now.

More soon...

Attached Files:

• gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

You can do it!!! It is pretty much easier from there?
    Looks great!
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Wow, veeerrryyyy detailed for that scale. Seems 1/100 is picking up.
  4. fimdan

fimdan Member

Ok, I added a little bit of tiny parts to see what they will look like when printed out. They seems to be ok so now I can finally begin building. I think I just finished my first model!!! It is small but small is better than nothing in my case.

I will try to build it over the weekend.

FimDan

Attached Files:

5. fimdan

fimdan Member

Lesson to all unexperienced designers. Do not trust your blue prints, especially if you get them from the internet. I just found out that my gun is a bit too short to fit in my sub. I used a different scale drawing to design this gun and when I moved it to the boat it comes out like this.

[​IMG]

It is not a major problem but can become one if you don't catch it right away.

FimDan
  6. fimdan

fimdan Member

So I started printing and building. Of course I had to adjust a few things due to some imperfections that have sneaked into the design. Basically I was trying to be too precise. The parts that need to be rolled into tubes (like the one in the picture below) were created using spiral curves with pitch setting set to paper thickness.
    Of course I assumed the perfect case where everything can be rolled tight and without glue. So this particular part did not roll well. I had to shorten it by about 25% before I could get them to align properly. I am curious if the same rule will apply to thicker paper (so far I've been working with parts printed on regular paper, very thin , about .01 mm).

This is fun!!!

[​IMG]
  7. fimdan

fimdan Member

Small progress.

Not a very clean build unfortunately. I am trying to assemble it quickly to see how all these pieces fit together. It is looking good so far. I apologize for not the best picture.

[​IMG]

FimDan
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Very nice one. I have to see how you design and build this deck gun. I have no idea to make my U-Boat Flak guns be buildable yet. Some parts are very small. :) How did u design for the recoil cyclinder? Is it formed by 1 piece rolling ?
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Looks like it for me~

This could be an entry for the tiny model competition.
  10. fimdan

fimdan Member

This should tell you everything. As I mentioned before I used the spiral curve with pitch setting set to paper thickness. In theory it should work but in reality you have to shorten the part by about 25%. This is what worked for me. Also I used regular paper about .01 mm thickness (not card) for those small rolled parts. Also building helped me to discover how to simplify few things. Will have to do a little redesign here and there.

[​IMG]
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thanks alot for yr explanation. I tried with my rudder shaft but it was not smooth surface in rolling. I might use too thick paper. I used 90 grams paper. Is it too thick?
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Here is my own design Rudder's shaft. When i rolled it , too big shaft i made :(

View attachment 9243

Attached Files:

13. fimdan

fimdan Member

What do you mean by surface was not smooth? You mean if would not let you unroll it? That is very strange? I am using version 4 now but even 3 in my case could handle it. When it comes to paper thickness, I decided to measure it with metric units since this is what I do in rhino. I am not sure if 90g/m2 is the same everywhere. What I did was taking 10 sheets of each paper and measured the thickness. I got about .01 cm for regular paper (20lb) and about .02 for my card.

Post some dimensions for me. Maybe I will be able to help.

FimDan

Ok I got your file. Let me look
  14. fimdan

fimdan Member

One question,

Do you intend to put anything in the core of this shaft or do you want it to be all paper. I see you left a lot of space there? If so what should the diameter be?

FimDan
  15. fimdan

fimdan Member

Edit:

Ok, I think I messed up the units.

You design in mm?

Let me recheck

I get 0.247mm for the radius. Is that correct? That is too small. How much do you scale your parts before printing?

FimDan

Attached Files:

• fix1.zip
      File size:
      126.4 KB
      Views:
  16. fimdan

fimdan Member

I have downloaded Penguin plug in to test it out. The demo version draws these funny lines over the image. Penguin would be very useful for making drawings but I don't think I can spend more money on a plug-in. Maybe one day

The result:

Attached Files:

• Demo.jpg
      Demo.jpg
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  17. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thanks again for fixing my problem. My printing scale is 1:5.0105 and I design in mm unit.
    I tried to print out a line that 1mm in Rhino but when i print out in scale 1:1 the line is 1 inch. How can i fix it. (I set unit to be mm in properties setting)
  18. kooklik

kooklik Member

Your deck gun is so wonderful design. You've made me want to design the Vii C "Happy Time" version for the next project.
  19. fimdan

fimdan Member

That's why I am a big fan of doing Rhino design in proper scale. In other words if you model is to be 100 cm long, design in cm or mm or whatever you like but make sure that your model is also 100 cm long in Rhino. This way you can see right away what is the real size of each part. You also don't have to worry about scaling and you can accurately reflect paper thickness. I think this is the best way to go about setting up your design.

I am not sure why you are having that problem. First rule out the printer as the source of this scaling issue. Second double check all the printing options. Other than that I really cannot think of anything obvious. Why do you need to print a single line that is 1mm? That's pretty small.

Good luck

Edit:

So you got those tubes to roll ok now. Did you use my 25% rule?

FimDan
  20. fimdan

fimdan Member

Question to all people around here. Anybody interested in test building this little gun? It may not be ready for another few days but I just want to see who would have the time.

FimDan