Slow Day at the Machine Shop

It's another scorcher in the Ozarks as the sun beats down on the OVT&L's machine shop. Fortunately, there are no heavy loads of pipe or machinery to get unloaded today. The boys can rest easy inside the shop for the time being....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• crane2w.jpg
    crane2w.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 224

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Wow! How'd ya do that? Scratchbuilt or real? It's hard to tell. You never cease to amaze. If you have a few more shots from another angle, post them, please.....

Don

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Fantastic work!

Ty, it's not blood, it's red paint. He's done that to intimidate the little plastic folks. They don't know any better. They don't know plastic can't bleed and they don't know blood isn't red paint. That's how he gets them to do all that good work. Scares the heck outa 'em!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Don't mean tah ruin the surprize Ty, that's where Casey field dressed the moose for that rack he's sendin' ya fer yer loco. Great work, Casey and one more vote for a pic of the other side.

Thanks, everyone. :)

The only other photo I have of that side of the machine shop is the one below. Unfortunately, as you can see, it doesn't show the crane. :rolleyes: Sometime, if I get a chance, I'll take one of the crane (perhaps with a work train car under it).

Attachments

• frontwest1w.jpg
    frontwest1w.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 164

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Not only the machine shop looks great, but the details and scenery surrounding this building, makes this scene look like a used and real building.
I LIKE it very much.

Paul

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Casey is the rock casting engraved plaster? and do you free hand the engraving or do you draw it first and then transfer it to the plaster with maybe carbon paper? I did a retaining wall like this and loved the result. I find that the final wash is the finishing touch.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thanks Casey, for one more look at your excellent work. You really caught the atmosphere - both by excellent modeling and photography. Superb! :cool:

I just saved the pic of the crane, because I need such a contraption in my freight yard. Somehow pics of these wooden cranes are quite rare, so I'm glad you showed this beautiful example - fairly easy in construction, but looking very 'professional' just the same. Add me to the list of those who want to see more of it! :D

Ron

Once again, thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Belg, the stone wall is a resin casting designed by Brett Gallant. I painted and weathered it, but I can't take credit for the carving the master. However, when I do my own rock structures (I've done walls, foundations, bridge abutments, etc.), I use plaster of Paris and carve the rocks freehand. Here's a link to a thread I posted a few months ago. It's a brief "tutorial" on pouring, carving, and coloring a stone retaining wall. If the link doesn't work for some reason, the thread was moved to the Gauge's "Academy" forum. You can find it there under the title "Stonewallin'."

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4734

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
You do remarkable work. I've learned more on the few months that I've been here on The Gauge, than I have from a bunch of those "how to" books.:D :D

Keep them coming, don't stop, especailly now that I've got broadband....:cool: :cool:

Don