Slick Schick Lighting - Modern Highway Lights

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Needing lights for my Slot track I couldnt find anything that suited my needs since most Model RR stuff has a 50's and earlier look to it.

I needed Modern so I dug through the old scrap and parts bins to see what I had to try my hand at building something with a Modern Look to it.

I started with 1/8" Brass tubing
my electrical parts box
Radio shack mini bulbs
Some light tin from the bottom of a shoestring potato box
House bell wire (22agw solid)
A used shick Razor Handle
JB KWIK Epoxy
A can of primer grey spray paint.

I trimmed an Electrical connector and soldered it and a lead wire to the brass rod and another ground wire to the base of the rod using the brass rod as the ground since only 1 wire would fit up the tube.

I cut a length of the handle from the razor and removed the inside ribbing. I then cut and formed the tin to act as a heat shield/reflector for the bulb.

I put a bend in the 12" length tubing at around the 9" high mark I twisted the connections to the bulb together , folded them up nice and neat Taped etc and made a second tin cover to snap over the connections.

I mixed up some JB epoxy and epoxied the razor handle to the electrical connector and the connector to the brass rod smoothing and filling using a wet finger.

After this dried (around 15 minutes ) I spray painted the entire thing after masking the bulb & reflector.

When the paint was dry I hooked it up to a 9V battery to test that everything worked as Planned.

light6.jpg

light3.jpg

light007.jpg

light010.jpg

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
great improvising TG:thumb: ...we'll have to start calling you Mcgiver:D Are you putting a base on it?
By the way...I read your article in the E-mag....great job on that as well (wish I had read it BEFORE I cluttered up my train room)!sign1

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Steve, thanks for commenting...........Yes this will get a base and since it was my first one, ive already decided on a few changes.
Ive picked up some supplies.. The next will use 3 sizes of brass tube so will taper from bottom to top. It will also have a Brass Base...............I will post the results of the next few here when i get to building them.
Theres more soldering involved, but i do believe it will look even better in the end :)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I look forward to seeing the next incarnation. Thanks for sharing!:thumb: :thumb:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
That looks good.
If you can wait....I think the up coming issue of the E-Mag might have an article on how to kitbash those street lights that are attatched to telephone poles.
How do I know that?......I'm the (Ed)itor......