Skyline's Grumman AF-2S Gaurdian BETA BUILD

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

External view of the wells...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The outer section of wing bones...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Now a little trade secret! Everytime I use the as designed wing cross section formers I usually can't make the wing skin wrap around them properly and have the trailing edges not meet up and have a little tail of the former pokeing thru. It doesn't matter who designed the kit, Halinski to Kaminski, I just can't get it right. So I came up with a "hacker" solution awhile ago. I take a small 2-3mm chunk out of the leading and trailing edges. If you prefold the skins you really shouldn't have to pull them around these formers. It usually leads to the starving dog look. This is desireable in fabric wings but in metal it isn't too cool. Anyways back to it, you take off a little chunk and smooth the cuts over so the formers are definetly smaller. This allows a little movement at the trailing edge to mate up that sharply.

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's all the innards installed...

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The wing sections joined up with the tips started...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And one left wing...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I'm a little less than thrilled with the tips they are ok but have a tiny bit of wrinkle at the tip. It blends nice, it just isn't perfect...

Attached Files:

8. Sumato

Sumato Member

Isn't Perfect? Sheesh! It's more perfect than mine are, and I designed her. I guess we are all our own worst critics. I only built a simple preliminary black & white copy, just to do simple fit checks. As I recall, when the wings come on, this thing begins to eat up a lot of space. Just one wing is almost the wingspan of the entire A5M claude.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Jeremiah, and you're just about right, size that is!

Attached Files:

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Thank you. This photo was for me :grin:
  11. Maurice

Maurice Member

A quick snip would take it to half the Grumman wingspan.
    Apparently this one achieved fame in 1937 by making it back from action over China.
    (image lifted from wunderwaffe)

Attached Files:

12. Sumato

Sumato Member

Awesome! It's kinda funny that both of these airplanes are single-engine carrier based aircraft, though the Guardian was designed only 10 years later than the Claude . I think I may have to include an apology in the instructions about the undue space this completed model will occupy...
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well lets not do that, one of would get span envy or something! Anyways I do have a very lame offering for tonight, as every day life seems to get in the way of cardmodeling; snow shoveling, sledding,, freezing your butt off in a great slush ball fight.( yes I cheat a little to get some extra range), but all the neighborhood kids vs one 51 year old man is still one sided! I built up the tailwheel section. As designed and shown as a backdrop, it is a flat main assembly with a squared off U glued to it for the wheel support. I decided to use the flat piece as a template and scratchbuild the parts as 3d separate pieces. I'm not 100% sure where the gear doors actually fit, but they are where they are now to lend support to the overall structure. I'll glue this in at the end.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

and the other lame effort, the mainwheels.

Attached Files:

15. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Well I'm back from a short break in paper modelling, and here lies this gem of a build. If these pictures are supposed to make me want to buy the model as soon as it is released....they have done their job very well! Great work Sumato and Ted.
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Lame offering and lame effort huh?
    The landing gear may look small but we all know how much work goes into them.
    I don't think your fooling anybody with those lines, Ted.
    You can snow those neighborhood kids, but you can't snow us card modelers!:twisted:
    Those wheels look great, like you took the rubber ones from a toy or something.
    Nice work, Ted, very nice!

Russell
  17. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Very smooth! Did you use ca glue to harden them before sanding?
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There is a mini tutorial in one of my builds. It's relatively simple, laminate up the wjeels, glue with wood glue. I use titebond, but any wood glue that dries and can be sanded can be used. some do use ca. Then chuck them in the cutoff wheel of a dremel tool and sand away. My issue with the dremel cutoff wheel is the screw is tiny and easily stripped. Also it is a little short for some of the wider tires and I don't know of any shops or sites that have those microscrews 1-1/4 " long. Anyone with suggestions in that respect drop a line please.
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ted.............. check the hobby store for a mandrel that is used for trueing the wheels on those pine-box cars for the scouts................

It has a little bit bigger screw that is longer than the std dremel mandrel.

john
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW progress

It's been a very busy February. So much that the build is not just stalled but in a flat spin! I managed some small bits of progress. The slowness is NOT due to the kit's design but rather a really full schedule of "other things". I cast up the mold the same time as the searchlight...

Attached Files: