Skyline's Grumman AF-2S Gaurdian BETA BUILD

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Rick, exactly! Mecka Lecka Hi Lecka Heiney Ho!
    Anyways I buttoned her up this am, the dorsal part is edge to edge butt glued to the fuselage. This caused me all kinds of worry but the stiffnes of the card actually just laid in just right, esp if you pre- roll or form the piece a little smaller at the bottom curve so it actually grips the part....

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The yucky side, one little area puckered and gapped but will mostly be covered by an oblong huge canopy rail...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The view through the little access hatch...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Same hatch, looking forward...

Attached Files:

5. Clashster

Clashster Member

I like this one alot! Detail always intrigues me, even if you can't see it! Think I'll be visiting Skyline one of these days.... Thanks for the awesome thread and excellent pictures!
    Chris
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys, this is my 1st Beta build, Jeremiah sent some graphic drawings and it seems to be going well. I did add the 10 extra exhaust stubs and installed them...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And now for something completely differant!

Making the fuselage is usually fun when it involves 1 or 2 cabins/cockpits. I'm working on the 3rd and got a little stare crazy, so I made up some glass, and decided to try makeing something other than canopies. I started work on the searchlight. This is a tough part to simulate without putting some type of bubble on it, it is printed as a tapered cyclinder with white for the nose part. It also comes with a beautiful lamp assebly if you can do some vacuforming, hence this segment...
    Here are the parts ready to be assembled...

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I glued up the various parts and rev printed the colors that would show thru the glass, this involves makeing a bitmap of the part, makeing a copy, reversing it and then cutting in the backside color on the 2nd rev part. You print your parts out, flip the page over and print the cut in rev color. I rolled the main cylinder and recessed the former so the lamp element clears the dome...

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Started forming up the "planet killer" form of the light...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Installed the element and the dome...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I thought about stopping here, but there are 2 fairing pieces to be installed so I did...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The completed part ready for when I get to the wings!

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Now I'm ready for the 3rd cabin aft, But that will be another chapter for later....

Attached Files:

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is turning into such a nifty looking plane! Can anyone divulge when they think it may be available?

Rick
  15. Sumato

Sumato Member

It will likely be available in about 1-2 weeks. I am in transition training right now for a new airplane, and It has taken up a LOT of my normal time for model design. Right now we're doing little fixes and improvements from the Beta, and finishing up the instructions which (as Ted will tell you) are CRUCIAL to building this monster successfully. We will make it worth the wait! The Kaman Seasprite is also about half done right now, as is the SeaHornet F.21.
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Back to it at last!

It's been a hecktic week topped off by the annual Father/Son scouting weekend. The ambient temp was 32 F but with wind chill the event managed to have us perform in 18 F or lower. This is a scouting olympic featuring fire starting navigating, scavenger hunt, rope crossings, all the things that made bootcamp just a joy but now is redone in the name of the boyscouts. Anyways enough whineing. I resumed work on the after cabin, here are some pics with the overhead installed and viewed thru the opening...

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The other view, thru the door...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The overall view so far...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

One thing that I'm not completely sure about is building up that dorsal hump. It relies on alot of edge/butt glueing and so far everything fits great, but there are a few bumps in the fuselage from me, not the design. In retrospect, I'd like the fuselage sections without the cabins to be designed completely in oval sections, then build up the dorsal fairing separetly, but this is because of familiarity with a method, in time this may become the state of the art...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's the tail section, with the tail hook recess and the tail wheel well installed. The section is glued aft to the tailhook recess, and is open front and top.

Attached Files: