Skyline's Grumman AF-2S Gaurdian BETA BUILD

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The cockpit dry fitted...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The weapons bay dry fitted. I think the easier installation is going to be weapons bay, then cockpit, then aft weapons station. I'll wait until the am when I've rested up and am ready to tackle this... In the interim the forms for some "glass" have to be made up!

Attached Files:

3. Clashster

Clashster Member

As always, a great looking build! This looks like a great model! Are all of Skyline's models this detailed? I really enjoy your threads and great photos! Thanks!

Chris
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

clean effort my eye! This is the 2nd round for the bombay, 3rd for teh fuselage section. The 1st fuse section was done inbetween ink cartridges, I replaced it with the factor model ink and when you got together because of the 2 lights in my study you always get color differential but when the part was installed it was a big differance. The 2nd time I got the part on, I tried to glue the bombay in, with the glue the entire length of the fuselage, it warped it and dried too damn quick and twisted everything. So this time I'm going to tack the bay in at the ends and squeak a little bead in from above. Thank the Gods for printable models! This isn't a design flaw, just a builder brain freeze!
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Chris........... I've gotten all of his models so far........... printed out each one and YES they are all this detailed.............SWEET Build Ted!

john
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys. I intalled some of the parts previously dryfitted. Here is the cockpit...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The weapons bay. This seemed to be an easy fit. The only problem is not of design but of execution. I think the long part of the bay is to sit up against the opening, but to get a bead of glue down there and manipulate the part was a bit tedious. I warped it the 1st time around. I then trickled some glue down and this worked, but it did wrinkle the opening slightly. I think the big doors will hide most of this.

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The middle cabin dry fitted in place...

Attached Files:

9. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Ted,
    You are doing great. Cannot wait to see thisone finished.
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Carl, I tried duco in the tube and in the liquid and for some reason maybe celestial alignment or something I cannot get the stuff to work. I can't even glue 2 flat pieces together with it! I have teh Aleen's stuff somewhere. I did what you did a few builds back, ruined a part, booted the plane and the bottle went to the kids.
    I am still working on this mid fuselage section. In between family stuff and eating it is going uncharacteristically slow. There isn't anything complicated, just tedious. I installed the mid weaps station, and started to build up the little room details. I finally realized this is probably how you should build this, in teh fuselage section. I did the rear separately and tried to retro install it, and it didn't quite come out right. I salvaged the panels and such and will go again later... Here is the section with the dorsal hump dry fitted, port side...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And dry fitted Starboard...
    The little window is all you can see in or out of with the hatch closed up, but....

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

With the access hatch open, you can eyeball quite a bit, it's just that quite a bit ain't installed yet!

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And looking aft... Now to place all the innards in'er!

Attached Files:

14. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

what a great models

what a great work

just make me want 1
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Because you asked...

Here's a close up of the almost scratch built exhausts. The idea came from the 109G Orlik exhaust. I stretched them out, widened them, and made a simple 70 degree curve....
    Of course Jeremiah later gave me the info that I need 10 more exhaust stubs coming from the top cowl flap depression. The good news is they are smaller simple straight tubes, maybe tomorrow....

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The mid seat passenger

I finally finished the mid cabin area. Nothing spectacular, some buttons and boxes and some type of Nav gear or sonobouy station or something...

Attached Files:

• ac1.JPG
      ac1.JPG
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Cabin overhead piece...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Already to be buttoned up...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Another pic of the same...

Attached Files:

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is turning out very nicely!

I too tried Duco and experienced the same (non-stick) issue. Carl, you must be using some kind of magic incantation! :)

Rick