Skyline's Grumman AF-2S Gaurdian BETA BUILD

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next project follows on the Heels of the Skyline Claude, a Beta test of teh Grumman AF2S Gaurdian. This was an aircraft designed to follow the TBF/M Avengers of WW2. The Navy later adapted the aircraft to work in pairs with an augmented AF2W which had an underbelly radar, to hunt submarines. The W would locate the boat, sending the S to drop sonar bouys, locate and torpedo her. The Gaurdian was the largest piston single engine aircraft the Navy operated. Here's a pic of the Ace model in plastic 1/72 scale...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Model...

The kit itself comes as a download, @12-15 pages of parts, and as it's a Beta, the instructions are in the works. Having corresponded with Jeremiah at Skyline, the kit should follow most usual build techniques and follows the same sequencing as his previous kits. Here is a pan of some of the parts...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Payload...

Of course not being happy waiting for stuff to print out, I started on teh torpedo, just to test the basic build geometry and part fit. I also recolored the fish to a more brass subdued color, the kits was the same blue as the aircraft. I'm not sure which color is correct but having been on submarines, our fish were this color so I went with it. It would also add a bit of contrast in the torpedo bay, differant from the greens and blues... The parts fit exactly, the nose was a bit basic, but I think alot of ASW fish noses were pretty bizarre!...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wheel wells

The next thing to build up while printing out 15 sheets was the wheel wells. These have a bunch of busy looking details printed on, which very deep down inside I'm glad did not have to be modeled and built up!

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The after compartment.

I'm not sure which station this is, gunner or radio operator, I'm thinking radio, it is the after most compartment. It was printed on the same sheet as the above parts so this is whereI startted the interior. The parts fit perfectly, once again.

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Because it's there!

Having almost finished off this little gem, a big nagging concern came over me. This section has no canopy and the only visibility to the compartment comes from 2 little side windows@ 3mm x 5mm long! There is a hatchway leading forward, but in my wildest imagination, short of an endoscope being led in from below(where do they always lead in from!), You can't see much if any detail. But As Sir Hillary said why... "because it is there".

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The side window opening

This is what you can see from outside the aircraft! Most of the inner skins are dry fitted.

Attached Files:

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ahhhh............ but you know it's modeled to the Teeth! That's all that really maters!

I hope this means the release will be soon! I love planes with tail-hooks.

john
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I have the same fascination John. Imagine a vehicle moving at 50-100 mph gliding down to an area that looks like a matchstick in a puddle, lining up with that bobbing heaveing chunk of metal, extending a little metal tailhook. trapping a cable and being yanked down to the deck at a dead stop in less than a football field and have your spine slam down thru your nether regions! That's a carrier landing, and my hats off to all the worlds aviators that have to put up with that stuff. Did it once in '70s, a COD onto the Nimitz, on her early cruise. We helo'd off!
    Well on to the build... All the little parts laid out ready to be assebled must mean the engine is up....

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Sumato, the designer, makes a convincing radial without all the heads and fins and stuff. It is still fairly detailed, here being assembled...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finished with the cylinders installed, and the inside cowling ring in place...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The 4 pronged thing at the tip is the prop spinner assembled and awaiting the blades at a later time. Learning from the A5M model, I preseparated the pitch hubs, and installed them on the spinner...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A little extra...

After finishing the engine piece and installing a brass rod spinner, it did look a little bare, so I cut up some.004 plastic rod and made those pushrod things that are on the from of the cylinders... Here bare plastic, then painted...
    Now on to other things.... more later...

Attached Files:

14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well Ted.......... didn't serve but I was a Navy Brat............ Dad did 24 and retired a MCPO. He served on carriers for as long as I could remember.......Tarawa, Saratoga, Enterprise(CVA(N)-65) and finally retired off the Shangra-La.......... I wanted to be a Naval Aviator, as all kids, but for bad eye-site, color blindness and a couple of other things put that dream away. Funny how that are picky about seeing good and being able to tell red from green..........sheeez!:cry:

This is a MONSTER of a plane............. I went down to Pensacola and walked throught the museum with Rob..........the scale of this thing is amazing! It makes the AD, TBF, heck even the corsair look tiny.

I'm glad this is coming out I like all the "old" planes, cause that's what I saw doing touch and goes and coming in before the ship!

I like the added touch to the engine........... just right with the added rods!

Keep her coming! Oh and raise that left wing........ your drifting a little off the line there!

And that's called a hub..........

john
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I stayed in for @ 8 active, "small boats', a little "training accident" forced me to retire to unterseeboats. I had a ball for awhile then like all Navy Chilen's I wanted to fly too. They kept turning down my requests, so I eventually resigned and went to med school. The only color I had to be aware of was red! Funny, now I'm scared to death of anything that leaves the ground!
    Anyhows the next little "hurdle" was the fwd cowling rings. The rings went together with no trouble, I must apologize to Golden Bear, I did have to use connector strips here! They were only @3mm wide though but they were definetly needed. Even with the fwd "chin piece" was a bit of a "bear" to install. It fits EXACTLY, with NO room for fudgeing around. I flubbed a little at the airscoop front ring but it eventuall came out OK.

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Heres a "cheese shot" of teh engine dry fitted to check alignments and sizes, so far I like it alot!

Attached Files:

17. josve

josve Active Member

I really like your pick of your next aircraft Ted!
    I'm looking forward to follow and enjoy this build :)
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks one and all, back to the build... I finished up the cowling section and installed the engine. I don't have any actual instructions yet but I think the intent was to mount the engine to a bulkhead, then insert the bulkhead into the cowling and puch it forward to mate up with the inner lip. This made me a little apprehensive as I fudged the lower lip a tiny bit and was worried that the engine wouldn't mate up right. So I installed the engine to the front without bulkhead, made sure it fit, then glued the bulkhead in from behind after the fact. It seemed to work out OK... Oh a PS, Jeremiah sent some prelim drawings that will help with the next bits coming up, but he informed me the crankcase? the section that the prop hub mounts to is supposed to be aimed down and to one side or other. The part is made eccentrically and I thought it was a printing error, so I trimmed it up square with the engine front. He explained the aircraft needed that offset to offset the torque of the engine. And I thought it was a quirk of the Beta!

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next section was a bit of a challenge, not difficult but just "busy" This is the section that contains all kinds of exhaust louvres and such. It is also "eccentric in the fore and aft sense and gives a sort of downward nose look to the aircraft. Here is the section formed and cutout just waiting for the little internal doodads...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I'm not sure of the desined sequence so I took the path of least resistance. I tried to install one of the internal parts, the slim bottom ones fit with no problems but didn't do squat to hold teh cylindrical shape, so I mounted the section to the completed front end parts. This gave it the stability needed to properly install the exhaust thingys...

Attached Files: