Sketchup Help

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Shinigami, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Hold on, I think I managed to get it myself. I had to re-align the axis to the polyhedron THEN copy paste the shape into a fresh instance of Sketchup. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it seems to be giving me the alignment I want.

[​IMG]
    This is what was happening ^

[​IMG]
    This is what I wanted ^

Note the colored edges that indicate that they are aligned with the various axis'. The first model wasn't oriented properly after an copy, move, and 180 degree rotation. Now it works perfectly since I was able to get the shape oriented. Thanks for the help, I'll post info on my model when it's done.
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Hold on, I think I managed to get it myself. I had to re-align the axis to the polyhedron THEN copy paste the shape into a fresh instance of Sketchup. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it seems to be giving me the alignment I want.

[​IMG]
    This is what was happening ^

[​IMG]
    This is what I wanted ^

Note the colored edges that indicate that they are aligned with the various axis'. The first model wasn't oriented properly after an copy, move, and 180 degree rotation. Now it works perfectly since I was able to get the shape oriented. Thanks for the help, I'll post info on my model when it's done.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I'm glad you got a work-around, but really SketchUp should have the tools to do this without any grief. Either we have both missed something in understanding how its tools work, or their is a gap in their Help files, or there is something clunky about the controls themselves. I shouldn't compare it to Rhino, but it is what I know, and it is very straightforward to orientate objects in that program. Anyway, keep us posted with progress with the design!

Tim
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I'm glad you got a work-around, but really SketchUp should have the tools to do this without any grief. Either we have both missed something in understanding how its tools work, or their is a gap in their Help files, or there is something clunky about the controls themselves. I shouldn't compare it to Rhino, but it is what I know, and it is very straightforward to orientate objects in that program. Anyway, keep us posted with progress with the design!

Tim
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

No problem, the biggest issue is that Sketchup is designed for blocky objects. A shape like that is exceedingly difficult to rotate the way they do it.

I was wondering if I could also get a Truncated Cuboctahedron. It's an archimedean solid so it should be easy to find.
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

No problem, the biggest issue is that Sketchup is designed for blocky objects. A shape like that is exceedingly difficult to rotate the way they do it.

I was wondering if I could also get a Truncated Cuboctahedron. It's an archimedean solid so it should be easy to find.
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

9. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Well hell, it turns out that sketchup includes several standard shapes in its component library. Anyways, here's how my project has turned out thus far. The test build is 14 inches in length.

[​IMG]