Sketchup Help

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Shinigami, Apr 22, 2007.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Just got home and loaded the software, it is VERY comprehensive, so expect to do a bit of 'learning', but it works a treat! dxf export slots straight into Rhino and Pepekura, although I haven't checked out the finer details of the export routine, for example the differing facets export on different layers, and Pepekura then unfolds the layers seperately so you might have to do a bit of welding to make one single mesh to end up with one unfolded mesh. Stella has its own unfolding routines as well, of course.

Anyway, delightful program, and educational as well. Which, for those of us who are clearly so desperately educationally challanged, can only be a good thing. Don't you agree, Maurice?

Tim
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Just got home and loaded the software, it is VERY comprehensive, so expect to do a bit of 'learning', but it works a treat! dxf export slots straight into Rhino and Pepekura, although I haven't checked out the finer details of the export routine, for example the differing facets export on different layers, and Pepekura then unfolds the layers seperately so you might have to do a bit of welding to make one single mesh to end up with one unfolded mesh. Stella has its own unfolding routines as well, of course.

Anyway, delightful program, and educational as well. Which, for those of us who are clearly so desperately educationally challanged, can only be a good thing. Don't you agree, Maurice?

Tim
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

5. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Thanks, that's precisely what I needed. It exported to Sketchup and Pepakura perfectly. Now I just need go through the tedious task of modeling in Skechtup's rather imprecise system.
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Thanks, that's precisely what I needed. It exported to Sketchup and Pepakura perfectly. Now I just need go through the tedious task of modeling in Skechtup's rather imprecise system.
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Any chance I could get that shape again. As it is it imports into Sketchup lopsided. This is causing all kinds of problems in both Sketchup and Pepakura.
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Any chance I could get that shape again. As it is it imports into Sketchup lopsided. This is causing all kinds of problems in both Sketchup and Pepakura.
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

help yourself!

The file is still 'up', so download it as many times as you want! Just right-click on the link given above and 'save target as...' . It is a tiny file, so I won't be removing it for a while yet!

Tim

PS I just imported it into SketchUp and it worked just fine.
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

help yourself!

The file is still 'up', so download it as many times as you want! Just right-click on the link given above and 'save target as...' . It is a tiny file, so I won't be removing it for a while yet!

Tim

PS I just imported it into SketchUp and it worked just fine.
  11. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Nah, I think you misunderstand me. It imports just fine, however it imports lopsided. I can't get it rotated properly in alignment with the axis's since Sketchup's rotate feature is kinda limited. I need proper alignment with the axis's to do what I want. I used the Axis tool to realign the axis's with the shape, but it caused all kinds of problems. The camera in Sketchup never works properly, objects that should be in alignment are skewed, and exporting to pepakura causes all kind of edge alignment errors. I'm pretty sure this is all related to Sketchup's limited resolution.

However, if I can get the truncated icosahedron in proper alignment in the first place I think everything will work. The only reason I think why it would be lopsided in the first place is if you rotated it in Great Stella before exporting. If this isn't the case, then I'll just have to try something else.

[​IMG]
    Here's the problem ^
  12. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Nah, I think you misunderstand me. It imports just fine, however it imports lopsided. I can't get it rotated properly in alignment with the axis's since Sketchup's rotate feature is kinda limited. I need proper alignment with the axis's to do what I want. I used the Axis tool to realign the axis's with the shape, but it caused all kinds of problems. The camera in Sketchup never works properly, objects that should be in alignment are skewed, and exporting to pepakura causes all kind of edge alignment errors. I'm pretty sure this is all related to Sketchup's limited resolution.

However, if I can get the truncated icosahedron in proper alignment in the first place I think everything will work. The only reason I think why it would be lopsided in the first place is if you rotated it in Great Stella before exporting. If this isn't the case, then I'll just have to try something else.

[​IMG]
    Here's the problem ^
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, I am clearly missing the point here. It looks exactly right to me. In what way is it distorted? I just looked at the file in Rhino, and opened it in Pepakura (update available by the way!) and it worked just fine.

Tim
  14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, I am clearly missing the point here. It looks exactly right to me. In what way is it distorted? I just looked at the file in Rhino, and opened it in Pepakura (update available by the way!) and it worked just fine.

Tim
  15. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

No, the shape itself it just fine. But it's oriented a bit off. This is very problematic in Sketchup since all actions are based on the axis's. Like I've said, I've tried rotating it to get it aligned but I can't quite get it. IDK, I can probably try importing into a more powerful modeler like metasequioa to fix it.
  16. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

No, the shape itself it just fine. But it's oriented a bit off. This is very problematic in Sketchup since all actions are based on the axis's. Like I've said, I've tried rotating it to get it aligned but I can't quite get it. IDK, I can probably try importing into a more powerful modeler like metasequioa to fix it.
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, let me know how you want it orientated and I'll resave it. I've just had a play with the SketchUp rotation tools and they are not obvious, but that is probably because I am so used to using Rhino. I'm not saying Rhino is any better, but whenever I move to another program and have to relearn commands and command syntax, or worse, UNlearn a technichue that I use without thinking, things can get a bit frustrating!

You can use the rotation tool but it seems to want to snap to the faces, which are of course every which way on this shape' except the way you want!! There must be a way of selecting the parts bounding box, or something simliar.

After my evening meal, I'll have a closer look. Any other SketchUp wizzkids out there care to chip in?

Tim
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, let me know how you want it orientated and I'll resave it. I've just had a play with the SketchUp rotation tools and they are not obvious, but that is probably because I am so used to using Rhino. I'm not saying Rhino is any better, but whenever I move to another program and have to relearn commands and command syntax, or worse, UNlearn a technichue that I use without thinking, things can get a bit frustrating!

You can use the rotation tool but it seems to want to snap to the faces, which are of course every which way on this shape' except the way you want!! There must be a way of selecting the parts bounding box, or something simliar.

After my evening meal, I'll have a closer look. Any other SketchUp wizzkids out there care to chip in?

Tim
  19. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Yeah, that's precisely my problem nothing is aligned with anything. The bounding box isn't even aligned with any of the edges. Any chance something could orient it another program and re-export or SOMETHING would be appreciated.

What would be most convenient for me would be one of the pentagons co-planar with the X-Y plane, and one of the edges of that pentagon parallel to either the x or y axis. If could get something like that I would be EXTREMELY grateful.
  20. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

Yeah, that's precisely my problem nothing is aligned with anything. The bounding box isn't even aligned with any of the edges. Any chance something could orient it another program and re-export or SOMETHING would be appreciated.

What would be most convenient for me would be one of the pentagons co-planar with the X-Y plane, and one of the edges of that pentagon parallel to either the x or y axis. If could get something like that I would be EXTREMELY grateful.