Skeleton log cars

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
All,

I was doing some organizing of my office and came upon this advertisement and thought some might enjoy it. This was gleaned from the November 1912 issue of "The Timberman."

Jimmy "B"

Attachments

• sc&f-log.jpg
    sc&f-log.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 242

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
Another Kind of Log Car

Thought some might like this type of car. Similar cars were used by a number of pine loggers in the Pacific pine forest region.

Jimmy "B"

Attachments

• redriver1.jpg
    redriver1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 183

DanishKnight

Dec 27, 2003
Denver CO
Visit site
Lassenlogger,

I appreciate the old advertisements of log cars. You exemplify the true spirit and reason of an on-line Forum. Thanks for sharing your resources so that we can all be inspired. I wish I had all the railroad books I donated to the local library when I moved about 20 years ago. Then I could contribute more, but now the over-50 memory loss prevents that. I just get to enjoy other modeller's generosity.

Take Care,
James

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
James,

Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully I can share more stuff.

Jimmy "B"

Originally posted by DanishKnight
Lassenlogger,

I appreciate the old advertisements of log cars. You exemplify the true spirit and reason of an on-line Forum. Thanks for sharing your resources so that we can all be inspired. I wish I had all the railroad books I donated to the local library when I moved about 20 years ago. Then I could contribute more, but now the over-50 memory loss prevents that. I just get to enjoy other modeller's generosity.

Take Care,
James

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
Re: Skeleton Logging Car.

Jon,

Yes it seems to be longer than most Skeleton Logging Cars. It is a 40' car. Here is another advertising cut for a similar car made for the Craig Mountian Lumber Company in Idaho. The only difference Between the two cars types is that the Craig Mtn. car has different bunks (what they call automatic bunks) and the center sill between the two main sills is a single long timber 10" x 10" which extends from the draft rig to draft rig. These two differences add 1000 lbs. to the tare weight of Craig Mtn car.

Originally posted by jon-monon
Nice one Jimmy! Looks like it might be a bit longer than the typical skeleton car.

Attachments

• craigmtn.jpg
    craigmtn.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 56

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
Re: Skeleton Logging Car

Thought some might like to see a loaded car, this is a scan from a litho postcard so the quality isn't the best.

Jimmy "B"

Attachments

• rrl-logcar1.jpg
    rrl-logcar1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 54