Six-Week-Challenge: Great Northern X1-X30 series Slant-Cupola Cabeese!

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
This one is gonna be a doozie!!!
Warning to dialup folks, this is image-heavy!
The prototype:
gnx3-1.jpg

OK, I started late last night, and as of today, I have the basic caboose structure done.
It really looks neat, and it's not painted yet!!!

From the top, here's how it came from a basic Montana Rail Link caboose to be a Great Northern X1-X30 series slant-cupola caboose.
Start: Stock Atlas caboose, std. cupola
aha.sized.jpg

Chop it up, add a .015" styrene inner frame--cobble it back together for the off-center cupola:
ahb.sized.jpg

Test-fit a side: (.015" styrene sheet)
ahc.sized.jpg

Modify the cupola, by filing a slant onto the ends, and opening up the windows:
ahj.sized.jpg

ahd.sized.jpg

Lay a chunk of masking tape sticky-side-up, and secure it to the work surface with another piece of tape on each end--this makes holding the sides for window cutting extremely secure!
Start cutting blank sides, and cutting the windows into them as well:
ahe.sized.jpg

Drill 1/4" holes in the caboose body, (and hog out holes with file) for the windows, fill in the major gaps with .040" styrene to add rigidity:
ahf.sized.jpg

Glue on sides, allow to dry, and fill in gaps between roof and side edges with putty: *don't glob it on like I did!*
ahg.sized.jpg

Cut a pair of pieces on .015" styrene to fit behind and in front of cupola, file to fit, and using same operation as for the sides, cut in the cupola windows. Glue in, and putty the gaps as before:
ahi.sized.jpg

Starting to look amazingly like the GN X3 picture I posted in here, eh?

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I dunno,...

..Blake's been on this Great Northern freight car rage for a few months- I hope he doesn't see this thread!

It's a beautiful Job Light- very beautiful- I admire your skill and craftsmanship.

I don't mean to detract but I am afeared that Blake will be cabeese GN bound on account I think he has a thing for goats?:eek:

Mark

Beautiful, very :thumb:

P.S. Another one for the academy.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Re: I dunno,...

Originally posted by MCL_RDG
..Blake's been on this Great Northern freight car rage for a few months- I hope he doesn't see this thread!

It's a beautiful Job Light- very beautiful- I admire your skill and craftsmanship.

Mark

Beautiful, very :thumb:

P.S. Another one for the academy.
The academy??:cool: I'm flattered.. I didn't think my work was that good....
Thanks for the kind words, all!
I have to add grabs,a nd paint it, then wait for my decals to come to the LHS. I had to order them. Even N Scale Supply was outta stock!!!

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Thanks folks!
I used standard Squadron white putty.

Detailed!
Smokejack, antenna, grabs, window drip rails, tool box, ends, underframe.
Whaddaya think?
I need to finish touch sanding the sides, to get them smoother, wash and dry the model, then to the paint shop it goes!!!

ahm.sized.jpg

ahl.sized.jpg

ahk.sized.jpg